{•Chapter Fifteen•}

"Is this another puzzle?" Gwen questioned as they stepped into another room with four picture frames on the wall. In the middle of the room was a control panel. The archivist stepped in front of it and found an inscription etched above the switches.

*****
The sacrifice of six lives shall make way the true path.
*****

"Work your magic," Leon stated with a smirk, patting her lightly on the back.

"Will do."

Gwen placed her hands on the switches and flipped them one by one. It took her a few tries to get the six sacrifices she needed, but she prevailed and pressed a button. The wall slid, revealing a door. Leon glanced at the woman, who was grinning triumphantly. She directed her smug grin towards her boyfriend, crossing her arms in the process. "What would you do without me?"

"If you weren't here, I'd be messing with those switches for hours." Leon placed his hand on her shoulder with a smile.

"Well, glad my puzzle solving skills are of use."

As they stepped through the door and cautiously walked into the next room, someone cackled as they eyed the two agents. "What a pleasant suprise. But I'm afraid it's Ashley and Gwendolyn we need, not you, Mr. Kennedy. So if you'll kindly hand our—"

"Gwen doesn't belong to you," Leon declared vehemently, glaring at Salazar. He moved to stand in front of his girlfriend, obscuring her from the man's gaze. "And if you don't need me, then get off my back, old man!"

"Did you say "old man," Mr. Kennedy? It might come as a surprise, but I'm only twenty years old," Salazar retorts, but Gwen wasn't buying it.

"Yeah, and I'm the Queen of England," the archivist muttered to herself, staring at Leon's broad back.

"So you're just like all the others," the blonde scoffs. "A puppet of the parasites?"

The castellan slowly paced back and forth, his gaze searing into Leon. "Surely you don't think I'm the same as those diminutive ganados. The parasites, Las Plagas, are slaves to my will. I have absolute control. And soon, once we have the moon goddess, her blood will be harnessed to create immunity."

"Well, I really don't give a damn. Rain or shine, you're goin' down," Leon spat.

Suddenly, robed men armed with scythes, flails, and crossbows emerged from their hiding spots. Leon and Gwen watched as the zealots crept towards them with their weapons raised. Under their hoods, they grinned as they surrounded the agents.

"Get rid of our American friend. Capture the woman without harming her. Lord Saddler demands her cooperation immediately without a scratch," Salazar commanded before disappearing. The doors were sealed by bars, preventing the agents from escaping the room.

Leon waited for the men to gather closely before firing off his shotgun. The metal pellets knocked a large number of them back, allowing the couple to avoid being cornered.

As the partners shot cultist after cultist, Gwen came up with an idea after replaying Salazar's words in her head. "Doesn't want me hurt, huh? Let's see how well they listen."

Just as a man was about to strike Leon with a scythe, Gwen jumped between them. The blade stopped inches from her face before the cult member dropped his weapon and lunged to grab her. However, Leon turned around just in time to shoot the man in the face before he could lay a finger on her.