{•Chapter Eleven•}

Flames danced around the barn as the parasitic man lumbered towards the agents. Leon glanced around the barn and found a way to the second level. "Up the ladder!" The couple scurried up the ladder to claim the high ground against Mendez.

Instead of using his handgun, Leon grabbed his shotgun and fired. Gwen moved away from the blonde to make it difficult for the chief to attack both of them. She circled around the centipede-like man while his sights were set on Leon. She fired at the appendages on his back as his spine stretched further to reach her boyfriend.

Before the sharp claws could pierce Leon, Gwen fires a single shot into the back of Mendez's skull. He growled as his fiery gaze was directed towards her. She back away as his spine shrunk and stalked towards her. Leon reloaded his shotgun and fired at the middle part of Mendez's spine. He wasn't deterred from his pursuit in Gwen and reached out to grab her.

The archivist promptly withdrew a vial of blood from her pocket and tossed it at the chief, the glass shattering as it struck him in the face. The silver liquid cascaded down Mendez's body, the man shrieking in pain from the contact. He backed away, flinging his arms wildly and falling on his back.

Gwen patted her pockets and found another vial, but it was empty. "Damn." She went to grab the injection gun but stopped when Mendez recovered. The young woman took a few steps away from the ledge, her back hitting the wall. Leon cursed under his breath as he ran out of shells. The chief pursued the blonde and reached up again.

Gwen stormed over and grabbed the shotgun from her boyfriend, using it as a melee weapon. She swung it with all her strength and the stock smacked into the side of Mendez's head. Blood splattered from the impact and the woman could hear the sound of the man's skull being cracked. Gwen didn't realize how hard she hit the chief until his body fell and severed into two.

"You're stronger than you look," Leon commented as he glanced between Gwen and Mendez.

The archivist handed the bloodied shotgun over. "Sorry 'bout the blood." She eyed the chief, wondering if he was dead. "You think he's..."

"Not sure. Stay here," Leon demanded.

Before he jumped down, Gwen stopped him by tugging on his arm. "I'll check to see if he's dead."

"Hold on a second." It was Leon's turn to grab Gwen's arm. "You seriously think I'm going to let you go down there?"

"I'll be fine. If one of us has to, it's going to be me. Just cover me," she said, prying Leon's hand from around her arm and jumping down. Slowly, she approached the severed body and tapped her foot against the man's torso.

Mendez's arm lashed out, his claws wrapping around Gwen's ankle, causing her to scream. He pulled her towards him, resulting in her to fall on her back. The man dragged her body through the dirt, trying to use the two arms on his back to stab her. Leon discharged his gun, eight bullets impaling the chief in the torso. He released the woman and she scooted away from him.

Once Gwen was able to get back on her feet, Mendez launched his torso upward and used the arms on his back to hang from the support beam. He swung his body towards Leon and tried to tackle him, but the blonde successfully dodged and unloaded a full clip into the man.

The archivist found a grenade near an old wagon and grabbed it. "Leon, take cover!" She pulled the pin and tossed the grenade to the second level just as the blonde dove behind a stack of crates. The explosion shook the barn as the chief's body sailed through the air and landed on the rustic tines of a pitchfork.

Mendez's body was motionless, his jaw slack as blood poured from the holes in his body. Gwen approached the chief and grimaced as one of his eyes fell out of its socket. She picked it up and felt the sticky substance covering the optic. "Ugh, disgusting..."