{•Chapter Five•}

Leon left Gwen in the care of the merchant he had only met minutes ago before departing through the gate. He was immediately spotted and villagers ran with their weapons raised. He grabbed his shotgun and pulled the trigger the moment the group of villagers reached the top of the steps. With the pellets spreading as they exited the barrel, the entire group was knocked down and sent tumbling down the rickety stairs. The one shell was all that was needed as their bodies disintegrated. Before more men could corner Leon, he ran down the stairs and to a nearby building.

The moment Leon stepped into the building, two villagers with pitchforks targeted him. He dodged their weapons and headed out a side door, climbing up to the roof. While avoiding the villagers who were swarming him, the agent found a chest. Opening the lid, he found half an emblem with a strange symbol. "The hell is this for?"

Leon decided to take the incomplete emblem with him, seeing as it was important. He took out his pistol and shot a few villagers in the head before jumping down from the roof. Then, he ran back the way he came and crossed over a rickety bridge. On the other side was a small shack. A man stood on the roof, tossing dynamite at Leon. Fortunately, the agent picked up a few tricks from Gwen and shot the next stick of dynamite he lit before he could toss it. The villager cried out in pain as his body was consumed by the loud explosion.

Up another ladder, Leon found another red chest with golden accents. He popped the lid open and found the other half of the emblem. Curious, the blonde placed the pieces together and heard a small click. "Now what?" Leon peered down from the plateau, spotting a gate with a small alcove in the center. His eyes bounced between the indention and the emblem in his hand. "Guess it opens the gate." Leon descended the ladder he climbed up and rushed over to the gate, placing the emblem in the hollow center.

<------------<<<<<<<<<<

Meanwhile during Leon's struggle through the valley, Gwen opened her eyes with a groan. A wave of nausea washed over her stomach and she flew to her feet. Running, she past the merchant and circled around the house until she reached a dead end. Her stomach lurched and she couldn't keep the contents down. As she vomited, she could taste her silver blood.

Gwen leaned against a barrel as she finally stopped vomiting. As her eyes fell to where she threw up, a strange spherical object caught her attention that was covered in silver blood. "What the hell is that?"

Inside the small object, something moved. She hadn't eaten in hours, but she doesn't remember consuming the object. Then, the sphere popped with a hiss and what was inside spilled out. Gwen frowned as she watched the small, living thing shrivel up with a screech and die. "Okay, I definitely don't remember eating that."

As for the silver blood, Gwen wasn't distressed as to why she coughed up a small amount. She was more concerned of how that living creature ended up inside her body without her knowing.

After having purged her stomach, Gwen felt significantly better. The cold sweat and weakness that had taken over her body vanished. She pressed a hand against her forehead, feeling the clamminess retreat from her skin. She sat down beside the barrel, deciding to rest for a couple more minutes before searching for Leon.

Once well-rested from her sickly state, the archivist stood up and searched her pocket for the mint she had gotten on the plane. Luckily, she still had it and unwrapped the red and white treat, popping it into her mouth. The minty flavor removed the acidic and iron taste from her mouth, which she was grateful for.

When Gwen was ready to leave, she heard running footsteps approaching. She turned her head just as Leon appeared from around the corner. Offering a smile, she waved at the blonde. "Did I miss anything?"