{•Chapter Thirteen•}

"I'll go first," Ashley volunteered. She stepped forward, standing in front of Gwen. The woman rested the muzzle of the injection gun against the inside of the blonde's arm. Before she could pull the trigger and inject the silver blood into Ashley's body, the young girl stopped her. "Will it hurt?"

Gwen shook her head with a reassuring smile. "You'll feel a pinch from the needle, but my blood won't hurt. You can ask Leon. He's drank my blood twice. Well, the second time was against his will."

"W-What?" Ashley nervously swallowed.

"He'd been shot in the shoulder and passed out due to blood loss. I knew if I waited to give him my blood when he awoke, he'd refuse my offer. So while he was out, I... gave him mouth-to-mouth and forced him to drink my blood." Gwen couldn't help the smirk from creeping onto her face. With her back turned to Leon, she failed to see the adoring smile on the man's face.

After a prolonged silence, Gwen cleared her throat and met Ashley's gaze. "You ready?"

The blonde girl nodded. "Yeah. I really hope this works."

"I do, too..."

Gwen pulled the trigger, earning a small wince of pain from Ashley. The silver liquid was pushed into the girl's body in the blink of an eye. The archivist turned to Leon, removing the empty vial with a filled one while grinning. "Your turn, sweetheart."

Leon smirked in amusement at her cheeky tone. "Go right ahead, doll."

The nickname earned a scoff from Gwen as she injected her boyfriend with her blood. "There." She placed the empty vials and injection gun in her pocket. Her lapis eyes bounced between the two individuals.

"How will we know if it works?" Ashley asked.

"If you feel nauseous, weak, dizzy... Those are the signs I had before I upchucked the egg." She leaned forward, peering into their faces. "Are either of you feeling sick?"

"Um, no," Ashley shook her head. "But, I do feel a little better."

"What do you mean?" Gwen inquired, a single brow arched.

"I was feeling a small pain around here," Ashley gestured to her abdomen. "But it's gone now."

The archivist eyed the floor, wondering what her blood did for them. She paced back and forth, her boots clumping against the tile underneath. Combing a hand through her short, sable locks, she heavily sighed. "Maybe it wasn't enough to kill the parasite but to suppress it."

Leon placed a hand on her shoulder and gently squeezed it. "It's better than nothing, Gwen. We will find a cure."

Gwen nodded in agreement. "I know we will, but we won't find it if we don't get moving. You both are running out of time."

"There's a door over there," Ashley said, pointing to her discovery.

The man glanced between the two girls. "Then let's get moving."

<-----------<<<<<<<<<<<

A pair of horse statues with flames erupting from their mouths and nostrils prevented the trio from moving forward. Gwen stole a glimpse of a painting and her eyes caught the sight of a small glint. She approached the painting and saw a key attached to it. Plucking the small object from the painting, she turned to face Leon and Ashley with a grin. "Wonder what this unlocks."

"Only one way to find out," Leon said.

"Leon, Gwen," Ashley called out to the couple. "I found something." She showed them the note she found attached to the wall.