𝐭𝐞𝐧

TEN

    Pogo knocked on the door before slowing opening the door. Rowan was still asleep. Pogo smiled, closing the door behind her.

     He owed Reginald his life, but just because he owed him it didn't mean he had to agree with everything, especially when it came to the children.

     Pogo loved all of them, he treated them as best as he can. However, there was something about Rowan that was different.

    Reginald forced her to partake in extreme missions, simply for his personal gain. Pogo hated it, however, he had to stay quiet, Reginald gave him life and could take it away any second.

     Pogo felt the familiar pang of guilt as he woke up Rowan. Rowan stirred and slowly opened his eyes. “Rowan, your father needs you,” he said, shaking her one more time.

     Rowan sat up and looked over to Pogo, “He's not my dad,” she mumbled before dragging herself out of bed.

     “By the way, he doesn't know about your little adventure last night,” Pogo added as the girl gathered her clothes in her arms.

    “Thank you Pogo, I'll be there in a second,” she said. Pogo nodded and walked away from the girl. Rowan smiled to herself, recalling the events from yesterday.

     She changed into her academy uniform, tying back half of her long hair. She adjusted her tie before heading out into Reginald's room.

     She knocked on the door, it swings open almost immediately. “Quickly Number Eight, we don't have that much time,” Reginald rushed, ushering her forward.

    Rowan took to her usual position, Pogo handed her one end of a rope and she tied it tightly around her waist. “What's the mission?” she asked as Reginald handed her a paper.

     “Locate this book, it is very important that you find it,” Reginald informed, walking back to his desk.

     “Just a book?” Rowan asked, slightly confused. She glanced at the paper and saw a book written by a man she never knew existed. “And how do you even know if this book exists?” she added, turning to face him.

    “I thought I said no questions Number Eight. Just do what you're told,” he snapped. Rowan sighed and stuck her hand out to make a portal. She took a deep breath and focused hard on the book, once she had a good feeling she stepped inside.

     Rowan glanced around and saw old architecture around her. People dressed in long dresses and pantsuits, Rowan was immediately dressed wrong. Rowan took a deep breath and looked around, she decided to walk around, every step the rope followed.

     After looking around for hours and avoiding people she finally found the book, it was from the library, she hoped it was in good enough condition. Rowan held on tightly to the rope and hid in an alley. People glanced at her, some pointing and others shouting. She needed to leave, and fast.

    Rowan quickly shot a portal and ran through, colliding with the floor of Reginald's study. “Number Eight, did you find it?” Reginald asked, picking up the book from the girl who was sprawled out on the floor.

     “Yeah, I'm fine too by the way,” she hissed, Pogo helping her stand. Reginald shot her a look before flipping through the pages in the book.

     “You're dismissed.”

     Rowan struggled to walk, using the wall as a crutch. “Hold on,” Pogo said walking towards her, helping her out the door.