Chapter 5

Chapter 5
One thing that Taron hated is how days seemed to repeat themselves over and over until there didn't seem like a point anymore . The one thing he had to look forward to was seeing y/n. The overwhelming projects from school and fights with his step dad got tiring quick and sometimes getting out of bed in the morning was a burden.

Y/n and Taron have social studies together 6th period. They had just got a new project where they have to focus on a charity program and help raise awareness. Mrs. Alderman was assigning partners. "Taron and y/n. You guys are partners." They glanced at each other. The problem with Mrs. Alderman is that she doesn't give much time in class to get stuff done. Taron and y/n don't have periods of study hall where they can work together on it. When Taron and y/n got into the car after school that day, they tried to decide where and when to work.
"Do you wanna work at your place?" Asked y/n.
"Uh I'm not sure that's a good idea." Replied Taron.
"Why would that be?"
"Um..." taron knew he should tell the truth, but that was a long story he could never get into and come out ok. Yes, Taron did hate days repeating themselves and getting boring, but the one thing he hated more was dramatic change. Talking to her about everything could completely change everything between them. "That's a long story." Y/n could tell it was something he really didn't want to get into and dropped the question.
"So how about my place tomorrow after school?"
"Yeah that should work. Answered Taron. "Thanks" she nodded.

Taron was doing math homework when Paul came home already drunk and yelling. "Taron! Where's your mother?!"
"Probably still at work."
"At work?!"
"It's not six o'clock quite yet."
"Well go make your sister some food! She won't shut up! And make me some too while your at it!" Taron slowly started walking towards the kitchen. "Hurry up now! Dinner won't make itself!"

After the water started boiling, Taron placed his math textbook on the kitchen table and began doing some homework. In the background he could hear his stepdad yelling at the news on the tv and tried not to get distracted. River sat across the table playing with her favorite doll. Once the spaghetti was finished, Taron called Paul to the table to eat. "Get that filthy ass doll off the table right now!" Startled, River put the doll in her lap. "No! Put it away! Now!" She started to walk up the stairs. "Are you gonna eat or not River? Come sit down and eat." Confused on what she was supposed to do, as she had just been told to put her doll away and eat her dinner at the same time, River stopped in her tracks.  Carefully, she rested the doll on the stairs and walked back over to the table.

River and Taron stood next to each other with her on a rusted step stool while doing the dishes. Neither of them spoke. Taron knew he should stick up for his sister but then he'd be the one getting yelled at. Or maybe Paul would've thrown something at him. The possibilities seemed endless. Frankly, Taron couldn't handle anymore of that right now.