Chapter 10

Chapter 10
When Taron got home, things were chaotic. Paul was up and pacing around the house with a beer bottle in hand. He was yelling at River for leaving her dishes out. Which is a normal thing for a parent to be upset about. But after River had put her dishes away, he was still yelling about how "non-grateful and disobedient" she was. Taron approached Paul, determined. "Where is my mother?" Taron asked, patiently at first.
"Don't interrupt me!" He screamed back.
"Yeah sorry 'bout that." Taron apologized sarcastically. "Where is she and why isn't she home?" River took this opportunity to escape up to her room.
"Don't think I'm not done with you River!" Paul called after her.
"Where. Is. She." Taron demanded.
"I don't know." He said with an irresponsible look in his eyes.
"What did you do to her?!" Taron screamed, grabbing his car keys.
"I said I don't know! Godammit Taron what are you doing?!" He yelled as Taron stormed furiously out to his car. Paul then smashed his beer bottle on the ground and stamped his feet feeling defeated.

Taron stepped on the gas and peeled down the street. Although he felt bad about leaving River with Paul, he know he wouldn't do anything to River. He couldn't, or Taron would finally report him and Paul would end up in jail. Taron speeds all the way to his mom's work where he found her in her car in the parking lot. Her hands on her forehead, slumped over the steering wheel. Taron quickly parked, cut the engine and ran to his mother. He yanked the door open and his mother looked up to him with sad, dark eyes. Under her left eye was a purple mark that she had tried to cover with makeup and her hair. Taron pointed aggressively at her eye and said, "who. did. this." She just continued to look into his eyes. She looked poor and sunken. "WHO!? You have to tell me!" Taron's eyes darted across his mother's face. "Was is Paul?" She broke eye contact and shifted in her seat to start fidgeting with her fingers. "It was him. Oh I am going to-"
"No Taron please, don't."
"He has no idea-"
"Taron. Look at me." They regained eye contact. "I can handle this." Now by handle this, Taron wasn't quite sure what she meant. But by the pleading look in her eyes, he gave in.
"Fine. But you are staying at a hotel tonight. Come on. Get in my car."

He drove her to the nearest hotel and made sure she was set for the night. Taron made sure she'd call when she went to sleep and advised her to some rest.

But Taron didn't follow those rules himself. Taron went out to a bar. Just to get a drink. One drink. Just to get his mind off everything. One couldn't hurt. But alas, it didn't stop at one. One turned into two. Two turned into three and so on. Pulling out his phone, he blinked wearily trying to clear his vision. He clicked on y/n's number. It rang. Taron heard y/n's groggy voice ring through the phone. "Taron what are you doing it's-"
"No. SsStop. I- uh- you"
"Are you okay?"
"Not- uhhh- completelyyy??"
"Where are you? I'm coming to get you."
"Wait no! No need to do thhattt." Taron insisted, slurring his words.
"I asked where you are. Answer. Now."
"Fine, fine. That place on Pine SsStreet with the big fancy lights." Taron heard her keys jingle and the door shut.
"Stay. There." And she hung up. Taron rolled his eyes and leaned over the bar. Slamming his hands on his forehead, he resisted the urge to just loose it and scream. Why would I do that?! I don't want help! I don't need help. I'm fine. But another part of his mind said: Of course you need help idiot. Look at your arms! Look at the empty glasses in front of you! What have you done to yourself?

Y/n picked up Taron from the bar and drove him to a nearby 24 hour diner. She got a smoothie and ordered a water for him. "What the fuck do you think you are doing?!" She hissed.
"I don't know! Okay?!"
"What made you think that would be a good idea??" This time, Taron didn't reply. He just sat. A blank expression on his face. Y/n softened. "Tell me what happened." She leaned across the table and put her small hands on his. They looked each other in the eyes and Taron saw trust. A sliver of hope rippled through his skin. So he told her. He told her what had happened to his mom and why he couldn't do it anymore. It all seemed like too much. He needed an escape.

Having something to lose makes life worth living. But if Taron didn't have Tom, y/n, his mother, or River, there wasn't much left. His mom needed him. He knew that. But sometimes it put too much on him. Not that it was her fault, but handling all of that responsibility is hard on someone. Y/n listened. She nodded. She understood. She helped. Getting it off his chest was a relief. Y/n offered to help whenever he needed. So she was always there.

They exited the diner into the brisk, night air. They stood together looking up at the stars. "You know what my dad used to say?" She looked at Taron. "He was an astronomer and whenever I was sad or down he would say, 'Only in the darkness, you can see the stars. Be one.'  It always made me smile." Taron reached for her hand and held it in his. A rush of warmth ran through his body. A spark. A connection.
"He sounds like a great man. I wish I could have met him."