What Are You Not Telling Me

Rey's POV
"You got everything you need?" Ben asks as I sling a duffle on my shoulder.

"Everything that I will need."

"Are you sure?"

"Ben, it's only two weeks. I'll be back before you know it."

"But will you?" Ben asks and gets up from our bed. "Maybe you'll like staying with Finn and Poe more."

"But they're not you." I raise an eyebrow.

"Just take everything of yours. You never know."

"What are you not telling me, Ben?" I set the duffle down.

"Nothing." He sighs.

"Something is going on. Tell me." I take a seat next to him.

"My parents... they don't need you gone for 2 weeks cause of the inspections and work things."

I sigh. "They're kicking me out." He gives a sad nod and stares at his hands. I stand and grab almost all my things that I was going to leave.

"I'm sorry." He finally speaks as I zip my suitcase for the final time in his room.

"It's okay." I retake my seat next to him on the bed.

"Do you want to break up?" He asks in a low voice.

"No. I'm afraid that's what you're wanting to do." I say back at the same volume.

"No, no, no." He turns his head.

"I'm going to fight for us Ben, but I can't do it alone."

"I'm here."

"For now." I twist my fingers in my lap. He'll leave they always do.

"No, I'm here now and I promise to be truthful to you."

"You lied."

"What?"

"You lied to me. You knew... you knew I was getting kicked out."

"After they asked you to leave for like a couple weeks I had a feeling."

"But you knew, that's why you're telling me to grab everything."

"Yes. Two days ago."

"So you kept that from me." I swallow hard trying to keep the emotions hidden.

"I'm sorry."

"Why?"

"Why what? Why am I sorry?" He takes a defensive tone.

"Why did you lie to me?" I look at him and feel the tears threaten to spill from my eyes.

"Because I am terrified of losing you." A single tear slips out of his eye.

I reach my hand up and swipe it with my thumb. "You're not losing me."

"It sure feels like it."

"I'm not leaving you, just this house."

"Well you always have a home with me."

"Not in your house, but I'll take the space in your arms."

"Rent is free." He opens his arms and I bury myself in his arms.

- One Week Later -
We'd be better as friends. Ben texts.

I don't feel the same.

Well I don't feel the same about you anymore. You've changed. I can feel my heart breaking in my chest

I can fix myself. I will do anything for him.  Just stay, I think to myself.

This is it. Last chance.

Thank you! I sigh in relief as I read it and swipe the tears.

I'll just need some space.

Okay anything you need. I love you.

I know. My heart cracks.

This isn't right. My hands and fingers work in unison as they call him. I need anwsers.

-Next Morning-
You didn't text me good morning. Ben's text comes through as I pull into a parking stall.

You said you wanted space.

Yeah, guess I just missed it.

I missed you.

What are you doing? His evasive maneuver stings.

Just got to work.

Cool. I deserve better. I sigh to myself and remember his points about us fighting and me wanting something different than him right now.

I've thought about what you said.

About what? And I'm done of the jabs at me, I'm done of the short responses, I'm done caring more than him. I'm done of having a one way street relationship. If he wanted this, he would fight for the relationship, not against it.

Us. You saying we'd be better as friends.

What about it? It's like he's not even trying.

I think you're right. We need some time to remember why we love each or just to figure out why we are fighting and let each other go. I'm done of fighting for him to stay in my life when he clear he wants to go.

I don't want to let you go. But you said the opposite last night. The time to fight for us is now Ben.

But that's what you said last night. You said it was time to let each other go and either fall back in love or grow apart.

Well yeah, I guess. And that's it. A switch is flipped in my head.

Don't guess. I'm fighting for us Ben, but I'm not going to fight to keep you in my life when you don't want to be here.

I want to be here. Just not as your boyfriend.

So then that's it. Tears spill from my face.

I guess, yeah. This is us breaking up. My chest hurts and I gasp as I begin to hyperventilate.

As you wish. I type and send through blurry eyes. If this is what he wants and what will make him happy.

I love you.

I love you too.

-One Week Later-

I can't do this anymore. I can't be your friend. I thought I could, but I can't.

Ben, please.

Goodbye Rey.

Tell me you don't love me.

And that was it. With a few clicks, he had blocked me on all social media.

A/N: So your girl's been ghosted, but my presence is still known seeing as we ran into each other the other day. I'm like the Black Plague now to him I guess 🤷🏻‍♀️

Video at the top is what I watched to get through the break up.