13. Tricked

'Hey Stefan' Caroline chirped into her phone 'do you want to hang out later?'

'Don't really think I'm in the mood Care, sorry' Stefan replied back

'Why not?' she questioned 'what's wrong?'

'Just have to try and deal with Diana and Damon at the moment, I think they've gone out tonight and I need to try and find them' Stefan explained

'Don't worry, I'll come help you look okay?' Caroline told Stefan, hanging up before even giving him a chance to reply.

'So where would they be?' Caroline asked after knocking on the Salvatore door.

Stefan shrugged his shoulders and slid a jacket on, 'I may have a few ideas, just follow me' he told her

'Come on Stefan, cheer up' Caroline frowned

'I suppose you're here to talk about Elena, how I told her she sounded jealous the other day' Stefan mentioned

'A bit yeah' Caroline replied being honest 'it wasn't really nice, and also I agree with Elena'

'I knew you would. Elena has nothing to be jealous about though, Damon likes her'

'Yeah, true but Diana is getting in the way and she's causing a lot of trouble'

'Shh' Stefan told her holding his fingers to his mouth; he motioned towards behind the Mystic grill where a small scream could be heard. They both crept around the corner and witness Diana and Damon feasting on two humans. Caroline was about to throw her hands up in rage but Stefan grabbed her arms and swung her back around the corner, motioning for her to be quiet again. Stefan quickly grabbed Caroline's hand and led them far away, when finally out of earshot Caroline asked him what he was doing.

'We can't let Damon know that we're on to him okay, if we busted them like that it would have gone down bad. Now I know I can help him without him knowing' Stefan explained

'Are you sure that's going to work?' Caroline questioned

'I'll try' Stefan sighed 'I know Diana is a bad influence on him, thanks for helping me Care' Stefan lent forward and gave Caroline a big hug, lingering for just a second longer than a normal friend hug, and then he quickly rushed off into the night leaving Caroline all alone.

Caroline awoke the next morning to Bonnie and Elena sharing the newspaper on one of their beds, the front cover showed a huge story of two young teenagers dead with serious neck wounds, Caroline quickly jumped out of bed and snatched the paper from them.

'What are you doing Care? We're reading that' Elena snapped

'Well you shouldn't be' Caroline responded throwing it in the trash.

'I'm worried, for once they haven't covered up a Mystic Falls murder with animal attack and it very clearly looks like a vampire bite'

'I know, listen Elena, it was Damon and Diana' Caroline explained

'How do you know?' Elena questioned

'I saw them last night when I was with Stefan; we were out looking for them so we could help, but it was too late. Stefan is on our side now though and he's going to try and help Damon. He said you have no reason to be jealous of Diana because Damon likes you so much'

'You didn't even try to stop him?' Elena asked

'Well, no but, you're missing the point. Stefan is going to help him'

'I'm the only one that can help him now' Elena yelled storming out of the room.

Damon answered the door at 10 am and was shocked to see Elena at the door; he thought he made it clear he needed a little break from her. She must be missing classes at college though so maybe she had something important to say he thought. He was slightly annoyed though, he said he didn't want to see her right now, had they not had that conversation yesterday and now here she was standing in front of him. He wanted to slam the door in her face and tell her to leave but she looked so sad and lost, he let her in without saying a word.

'I'm sorry I know you said we needed a break' she told him

'I did say that' Damon replied 'why are you here?'

'I missed you'

'I've missed you too, but I've been spending some time with Diana which is what I need right now. I told you this the other day'

'I know, I know' Elena frowned 'but can't we just be together?' she asked moving closer to him and putting her hand on his chest

'Damon' a voice called from the front door 'Damon can we talk?' the front door crept open and Elena walked into the room.

'What are you doing?' Elena shouted staring at Damon

Damon looked back and forth between the two Elena's, he sighed realising one of them had to be Katherine. He turned to the one who had just had her hand on his chest, 'get out' he said pointing towards the door

'Damon, it's me' Katherine said pouting

Damon grabbed Katherine by the arm and dragged her to the door, 'wait, wait' she pleaded 'I had something to tell you, it's about Diana'

'Well, out with it' Damon snapped

'She hasn't been with me all these years, I honestly thought she didn't get turned, but a year ago or so she just showed up and acted like everything was fine' Katherine explained

'Thanks' Damon muttered, shoved her out the door and slammed it shut. He turned around and looked at Elena, 'and what are you doing here?'

'I saw the paper' she replied quietly 'I wanted to make sure you're okay'

'I don't know what you're talking about' Damon said and held the door open for her; Elena made a huff and left the house. Damon spied the morning paper sitting on the small table near the door. The front page showed the two people him and Diana killed last night, he flipped the paper over and headed upstairs.