Chapter 8 - The Core

You awoke to find yourself sleeping in a medical bed, the one inside Angela's office. Looking around you see Angela asleep at her desk. She must have been watching over you all night. You were about to get up but you noticed that you were hooked up to a heart monitor. You quietly unhooked it make it beep high pitch sound to say no heartbeat, causing Angela to jolt up from her sleep. 

"Sorry, Angela. I didn't mean to wake you." You said trying to be heard over the high pitched beeping. 

"It's alright, (y/n). I should be getting up now. You slept quite a long time" she looked at her watch noticing it was 6:25 AM. "Well, now that you are awake, Gabriel had a request whilst I'm taking care of you."

"Which was?" You asked.

"He wanted me to do a scan on your heart. He mentioned that there may be a problem with your heart. But of course, I cannot perform such a task without your consent." Angela explained. 

"I don't see any harm in doing that" You shrugged. Angela nodded in response getting the equipment out and placing it on a table with wheels on it. 

"You're going to need to remove your top for this." She informed which you did (along with bra/binder/undershirt if wear that). When you removed everything that was concealing your chest, she noticed a very faint scar in the middle which then went across. 

"Have you ever had a surgery that you are aware of?" Angela asked. 

"None" You informed, you couldn't have thought of anything at the time. 

Angela because to look at your heart with her devices. She placed them to the side and you knew she was going to tell you something that you couldn't believe. 

"(y/n)...I don't know how to say it an easier way but...that's not your heart..." She paused and looked you in the eye. 

"W-what?..." You were speechless. 

"There are multiple signs of this, mainly because of scarring on the outside and scarring connecting the arteries and pathways to the heart. But, it looks like your body accepted the heart well as it appears it's been there a long time and has developed with you" She got a clipboard and began writing notes on it.

"Can you give me an estimate of how long, I've had this heart?" You asked. You couldn't think of any time you could have had an operation unless it was very very early childhood since it would be normal not to remember such events. 

"I cannot indicate that, as it seems to have adapted, even grown...attached to you..." It was an interesting choice of words Angela used but she was the expert in the field. "Though you were 100% born with the Congenital Insensitivity (Disorder where you cannot feel pain), however, the heart seems to be the only exception to any feeling to pain." She explained. 

"...Thank you for informing me, can you give me a moment, please... it's a lot to take in." You asked.

"Very well. I will be right outside if you need anything, okay?" She nodded and exited the room.

The room was silent. You didn't know what to think. Your heart wasn't yours but has grown on you, literally. Now, what? 

You kept thinking and thinking and then, there was a little voice that popped into your head. 

I guess I should Introduce myself now. 

Who are you?

Technically, I'm now your heart but who I was, I was known as Cora. 

Are you the one who makes me stronger then? 

I am indeed, I was mainly human before let's just say they experimented on me to the point of death. 

Wow, I'm sorry. 

Don't be, besides, I need you to get my revenge. Unfortunately, because of us, we have to deal with some...tools before we can get to them.

How? And when? 

Honestly, I say we go now. 

Now, now? 

Yes, Now now! Look, the sooner it's done, the sooner you'll be back to normal

You mean no more of this talk and no more powers?

We'll see when we get to that. But for now, we have to leave

What about overwatch? What about Jack, Gabriel and the others?

Sorry, we don't have time to waste. I will take it from here. 

Your vision went black like before, but, this time was different. You could still hear but it was as if you were underwater. You didn't want to fight against Cora...so you gave in and let yourself sleep. 

Jack's POV

Both myself and Gabriel finished figuring out at a plan. We thought it would be best that (y/n) stayed in at Chateau Guillard, the family home of Gerard's wife. It's isolated location so it won't be easy to get to. 

As walking down the hall, I see Angela standing outside of her office. 

"Angela, where's (y/n)? Shouldn't you be watching them?" It was concerning that Angela was not by their side. 

"Well, Gabriel requested a scan on their heart and...well, the heart isn't theirs. So they wanted a moment to themselves. I would have been the same too if that was the case." she held her right arm. I could tell what she meant. 

"So that's what the guy meant..." I paused "Do you mind if I see them?" I asked.

"I'm sure it should be fine, go ahead." Angela stepped to the side the let me in. 

I knocked on the door only to hear the response of breaking glass. I quickly opened the door, only to see (y/n) standing on the windowsill. 
"(Y/N)!" I called. They turned and looked at me with those red eyes. It wasn't (y/n), it was the heart that was pulling (y/n) body at the strings. 

Before I could do, let alone say anything, (y/n) jumped out the window. I quickly ran to see where they went, as they were running to what seemed to be the Overwatch Hanger. 

I got out my phone and dialled Ana and Gabriel. 
"Ana, Gabe, we have situation, (y/n) is on the running. On their way to the hanger. Get as much back up as possible."

"Understood." Ana stated

"I'm on it"

I ran out the door to head to the hanger. 

Cora's POV

So I managed to escape the Nurse's office, Angela I think her name was. The quickest way that both (y/n) and I knew was any of the aircraft that Overwatch could provide. I reached hanger without any of those stupid Agents getting in my way. 

When I found the right aircraft that I knew I could fly. I boarded and began to prepare our escape. 

"What ya doing, love?" That voice, I recognised it whilst I was still asleep inside this body. It must be Lena's.