Chapter 4 - A Single Breath Is All I Need

~~~~~~~~~
Yuno's POV
~~~~~~~~~

A minute ticks by...

Two minutes tick by...

Three minutes tick by...

"-uno! YUNO!" A worried male's voices calls into my ear. Suddenly, my eyes begin to refocus, as I snap out of my trance-like state. The peculiar amount time that I have spent, gazing at this mysterious, crystallised being... is unknown to even myself, of all people.

As my eyes are now completely refocused, they identify Klaus' face only inches away from mine, becoming closer... and closer...

I quickly scramble away, startled, as the pure disgust that I'm currently feeling is evident on my face.

"Klaus. What are you doing?" I voice blandly. "Ah, Yuno! You're okay!" Klaus exclaimed as genuine relief washed over his face, much like a wave. Now seeing as I have returned to my natural state, Klaus begins to explain,"I was moments away from performing a procedure called CPR-"However, he is abruptly cut off, mid sentence."W-What?!" I shriek. "We tried to stop him..." Mimosa and Langris mumble in unison, whilst the sliver of regret is evident in their voices.

I sigh, stand up on my feet, and brush the damp cave's dirt from my pale, coffee-coloured, hand-me-down capri pants.

After a long moment of awkward silence, I shift my head to glance at the many-times-aforementioned being. "We... Must break her out of there. It's our duty as Magic Knights." I determinedly declare to my teammates. "I agree..." Klaus sighs. Mimosa looks perplexed at the sudden change of mood, as she is unaffected by the mysterious maiden's inexplainable beauty.

Langris only sighs, raises his arm towards the being, and smugly alleges "Leave this all to me."

My eyes open wide in horror, as I jump out in front of him and slap his arm out of the crystal's trajectory. "What are you thinking?!" I retort, as the ferocious side which I had concealed for so very long, finally emerges. My golden eyes glimmer with anger and frustration, as my body language evidently portrays my infuriated state. "You could kill that being with your magic!" I continue to viciously opine, exasperated at the very thought of someone as obnoxious as Langris doing something so reckless and inconsiderate to any being, no matter what they may be.

Langris smirks and mocks, "Oh Yuno, it's not like yourself to get so bent out of shape about things." I tilt my head, irritated at the fact that my personality is supposed to be casted as the nonchalant one. What in the Four Kingdoms could be causing me to act this way...?

I'm lost, buried, and sinking further and further into my furthest thoughts and ponders...

Nonetheless, Langris forcefully pushes me aside.

He reaches out his hand...

...attempting get even the slightest peck of physical contact with the crystal.

My head turns at adagio, rapid speed, as our movements seem as if they're being played in slow motion...

My golden, amber orbs expand, as I see the bare tip of his finger make contact with the crystal.

As soon as it does,

His finger,

No,

His entire arm,

Burns to a crisp, without a even the slightest trace of flames.

I shut my eyes tightly, as the sound of velcro tears through the air. A piercing yell of agony fills the entire room. I open my eyes once again, to find Langris clutching his arm, howling in extreme anguish. My hands clap over my ears, as the sound terrorises us, and leaves our ears ringing, and ringing. All we can do...

Is just stare...

And watch...

Totally overwhelmed with shock and disbelief to even move a muscle...

Mimosa finally rushes over to where he is now bent over in extreme affliction, and indescribable pain. As Mimosa becomes doubtful in her abilities to heal a wound such as this, shimmering, tiny droplets of blue begin to form at the corner of her eyes. She casts her healing spell, as he falls unconscious. The room is in disarray, confusion, and mental chaos. Klaus and Mimosa are in shock, rushing frantically, attempting to tend to Langris' wounds.

However, I know what I must do. Even if the reason is unbeknownst to me.

I firmly plant my foot one step in front of me.

No, not towards Langris.

In the direction, of the crystal.

One footstep.
Two footsteps.
Then three.
I stare at the crystallised being. It almost seems like they're...
Calling me...

As my dirt-sodden finger stretches out from my arm, only one thought fills my head.

'I have to believe.'

The very moment that the bare tip of my finger makes contact with the smooth, prismatic crystal,

it shatters into glistening, sparkling shards of ever-so diaphanous glass.

The whole world slows.

The shards of glass that once encased her...

...trapped her...

are now disintegrating before my very eyes.

Her unconscious, frail physique begins to fall.

I dash forward, hoping to catch her petite body before it makes harsh impact with the damp, sodden ground.

As her fragile, pale figure falls into my arms...

...I feel my whole world begin to change.

I gaze at the intrinsic luminosity emanating from her. The light that surrounds her appears to be...

Peculiar magical power...

In fact, tremendous quantities of it...!

As I study, and contemplate the pulchritudinous, captivating being, I realise that one vital aspect...

...is missing.

"She... She isn't breathing!"

~Chapter 4 Finish~