Chapter 6 - Leap Of Faith

~~~~~~~~~~
Yuno's POV
~~~~~~~~~~

"Langris, Mimosa! Cease the ceiling from descending! Yuno, aid me in breaking down this wall!" Klaus barks, as we don't have much time to argue. "Towering Tornado!" I bellow, attempting to tear through the solid wall which towers before us. However, the spell barely scratches the cave's desolate walls, leaving no less than a scarcely-visible crack.

Various spells are tried, but to no avail. Langris is unable to use his spatial magic, due to his arm being severely injured.

As the razor-sharp stalactites dig into our skin, the adrenaline and haste of the entire situation becomes intense.

My heart, beating rapidly.

My quickly-paced breathing.

Even when my head keeps ordering me to keep going, I can't help but ignore the sense of my magical energy running dry.

"We're almost through!" I cry, needing the extra push of determination to attempt at chipping away at the last remains of the wall.

"We're running out of magical energy!" Langris and Mimosa shout in unison, arms trembling due to the cave's roof barging against them, while scowls of determination plaster on their faces. "Hold on-!" I begin to shout, as one last thrust against the wall manages to break through it.

However, as my body flies through the newfound opening in the wall,

I feel myself begin to fall.

My head turns slowly, expecting to see, and feel a path before me.

Except,

there was none.

A strong, firm hand latches onto mine, pulling me to safety. "My gratitude, Klaus." I sigh, while turning my head to face his.

The entire team, and the mysterious maiden being held in my arms, wander out onto a three-metre ledge, as we watch miniscule pebbles being kicked down into a bottomless pit, shrouded in mist, that looms before us. This ravine seems to have no end in it's depth, as its' floor invisible to us. As I look up, I spy another wall, directly opposite us. However... there appears to be a ledge on the other side of the crevice. The cave, still crumbling and vibrating, rains down in boulders on either sides of the ravine.

The only enigma that seems to arise, is that the ledge is approximately 10 metres away! No person could ever hope to jump and make a leap of that quantity!

We may be out of the stalactites reach, but we are completely trapped, as the path we had just escaped from is now completely sealed off.

You may think this would be a piece of cake for an everyday magic user to cross. However... One, enormous problem, arises before us.

As we whisper amongst ourselves, it comes to our attention that we all,

are completely and utterly sucked dry of our magic.

Due to having equipped our Mana Skins much too frequently, using all of the spells to retain the roof from closing in, added to the magic used to break down the cave's wall, it would be a miracle if we still had a droplet left.

Mimosa eventually shatters the dismaying silence, as she trembles,"We...We're stuck!"

"Oh, way to state the obvious!" Langris snarls, clearly agitated and distressed from the impossible task laid before us, as is the look on his face. "Settle yourselves, everyone! There has to be more than one way." Klaus reassures us.

Though, Klaus is incorrect.

"No." I state, shutting my eyelids, and inhaling a deep breath, preparing myself for the 'revelation'.

There is no other way.

"We don't have the essence of time.

One of us... Has to jump."

"Yuno, don't be so impetuous! All of us-!" Klaus begins to allege. However, he is abruptly cut off whilst Langris growls,"I am willing to agree with this. However, who is taking 'one for the team'?", smirking all the while.

The instant he says these words, the miniscule ledge divides into two sections. The line, being the invisible line of disagreement between the two separated parties.

(Note: Did I get'cha?)

Sharp glares slice through the atmosphere, until a loud 'crash' of rubble is heard. The whole ravine continues to shake, and collapse at a much quicker rate than it had previously. Gusts of wind begin to lash and dice through the air, as instinctively I raise my arms to protect my face. The messy, raven tussles of hair that piles on top of my head flow violently behind my head. The tempestuous wind becomes so severe, I can barely force my eyelids to open.

As I remain in the defensive position, protecting myself from the lashing hurricane, I yell, "We have no time to disagree!", as my words, swept away by the wind, are barely able to reach my teammates.

I bend down, and gently place the girl's frail, delicate body on the rocky surface of the ledge.

"Y-Yuno! What're you-" Klaus starts to yell, frightened and startled at the possibility of myself attempting something so very reckless.

However,

the recklessness that Klaus had speculated,

was indeed true.

I plant one boot firmly in front of me, as the indistinguishable, searing pain shoots up my entire physique.

Though, I can't help but grin in determination.

All the while, I retain my defensive position. As I push myself closer to the wind, it greatly increases it it's severity. The raven-dark hair that bundles upon my head rushes viciously behind me. My half-lidded, bloodshot eyes struggle to remain open. The shivering arms which remain attached to my frame begin to tremble and waver, as they are barely strong enough to hold up against the powerful adversary.

In my peripheral vision, I see my teammate's mouths moving and shouting. However, I am unable to hear any sound emerging from them.

Nonetheless, I now know what I must do.

To survive.

My eyes wander down to the endless, bottomless crevice down below. Ominous mist, soaked with abundant amounts of mana, fill the gap between the ledge we are currently standing on, and the ledge on the opposite side. Boulders continue to rain down from either sides of the canyon, disappearing into the bewildering, thick fog below.

I rest my eyelids, open my mouth, and take a deep breath.

I pause, and lower my aching arms beside me, as is the state of the rest of my entire body.

As the gusts of wind continue to whip and lash out, I suddenly open my eyes, knowing what I must do.

I gather all of my courage, as I pray for Father, Sister Lily, Asta, Klaus, Mimosa, Langris, all of the orphans at the church, even this mysterious being, and everyone I've met along the way, to lend me their strength.

My legs begin to bend, as my arms prepare, and ready themselves for flight.

The tension in my legs is suddenly released,

as I spring up,

and jump off of the ledge, into the mysterious, misty ravine below.

~Chapter 6 Finish~