chapter four

VERA BLACKWOOD WAS A PROFESSIONAL WHEN IT CAME TO MAKING DEALS. Since she was turned into a Demon, it's all she had ever done. The blonde can safely say that she was the best out of all the deal-making Demons in hell, because she was responsible for recruiting almost half of the Church of Satan's population. To be honest, she was always the best in anything, resulting to most of her Hell buddies despising her and wanting her dead. But she couldn't really die. It was part of her deal with Satan – that she would only be resurrected back to her current body no matter what happened. Vera didn't find immortality amusing nor did she find it fun to die for a few times now, because of envious lower Demons. When she was killed, it still hurt like a bitch.

The Demons' hatred for her became her reason why she didn't trust any of them. Heck, she didn't even trust her boss. But maybe Azazel was an exception. Azazel had helped the blonde when she first started as a soul contractor. He was one of Satan's closest Fallen, and he acted as her guide. To be honest, Vera owed him a lot. She had also showed him another side of her before – her vulnerable side – a long time ago. But she guessed that Azazel still hadn't forgotten about her outburst. Immortality was a lonely existence and there were times were she wondered if it was all worth it. Azazel had always been there for her through everything even if all she ever did was fuck with him and his mind. But she didn't feel bad about it. Or maybe a small part of her did. After all, she was once human, a young girl with a kind and innocent soul. But that was a long time ago. Everything was different now.

"Ms. Blackwood?" A timid voice called out her attention, sending her back to the present. Vera blinked a few times as she straightened her back, her pink lips curling up into a smile. She glanced at her newest client: a young woman named Cynthia Walker. Cynthia was a victim of an abusive relationship and it was evident in the cuts and bruises on her small, round face. The blonde could see the dullness of the woman's once vibrant blue eyes, the paleness of her scarred skin and the brittleness of her barely brushed dark hair. Something pinched Vera's heart as she assessed Cynthia's tiny frame. A small part of her didn't want to make a deal with her because when the woman dies, she'll only suffer even more in her own personal hell. But her Demonic side pushed her to seal the deal so she could bargain with her boss about her latest situation. She was heartless, after all. Well, at least according to other Demons. Maybe it was the jealousy that fueled them to call her "the worst of them all". Or maybe they were right.