two

- G I L L I G A N -

I still don't understand what I just witnessed. At my old school, kids never used to disrespect the teachers. But this girl, well, it appears her top priority isn't a good education. 

I've gathered two things about her- her name is Camilla, and she gives zero fucks.

Mrs. Ruth looks down, exasperated, after the door closes. She sighs loudly, and after a moment of hesitance looks up at the class with a forced smile on her face. I wince. She gets strung out easily, apparently. Her eyes land on me for a second. "Sorry, Gilligan. Camilla isn't usually so rude."

Her tone tells me she is totally lying. Camilla is definitely always rude, even if it isn't usually to that extent.

Mrs. Ruth turns to look at someone behind me. "She isn't going to the office, is she?" And though it's phrased as a question it's for sure a statement.

I turn to see the girl answer. She shakes her head and frowns apologetically. "Sorry, Mrs. R."

Mrs. Ruth just gives the girl a half smile as an answer. And then, as if everything that just happened didn't, she continues on with the lesson she had been teaching before Camilla barged in and caused a little storm of chaos. Something told me that the storm was always there, hanging above her head. 

Class ends forty minutes after Mrs. Ruth had began lecturing again. I get up from my chair slowly, not in a hurry to get to the lunch room. I have no idea where the cafeteria is, but I figure if I walk around the hallways for a few minutes it won't take me long to find it. 

I find my locker and place all of my stuff into it, making sure to place everything down where it's supposed to go. Being disorganized on my first day doesn't seem like the nicest and brightest idea. Especially a quarter of the way through the school year, when the teachers are just starting to pile the work on. I'm four hours into the day and I already know I'll be spending tonight in pajamas on me bed and doing homework until midnight. And not because there's enough to make it last till then, but because I'm a double (sometimes triple) checker. I've maintained a 4.0 GPA all through high school, and my senior year will not be what brings me down. 

I'm about to close the door when it slams shut loudly. I jump back from the unexpected sound. My heart jumps into my throat as I press myself against the walls of the hallway. "Holy fuck!"

I turn my head, making eye contact with Camilla. She's frowning, but her eyes are sparking alive with amusement. "Fucks aren't very holy," she comments, crossing her arms and leaning on the lockers behind her. I'm sure it isn't very comfortable, but she doesn't look bothered.

"What do you want?" I ask. My tone could be nicer, but she scared the shit out of me. My heart is still pounding.

She looks confused by my question. "What do you mean?"

"Like, why are you here? In front of me?"

"We have English together." She pauses. "With Ruth."

I nod. "I know." I suck in a breath. Secretly, I'm terrified that she'll beat me up or verbally assault me like she did to Mrs. Ruth. "Look, if you aren't going to get to the point, I think I'm going to go ahead and get to lu-"

"I just want to know your name," she interrupts.

"You decided to make me piss myself for a name?"

"I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm not exactly a peachy fucking princess."

I sigh. "Yeah, I know. I'm Gilligan." I realize as I say it that it's probably not the best thing for her to know what to call me. 

"Gilligan? Like Gilligan's Island."

"Yeah."

"Okay." 

And then she's gone.