seven

C A M I L L A

Mae sits in the back seat behind me, buckled into her car seat. "Am I gonna get to see Daniel again today?" Her eyes look hopeful when I met them in the rear view mirror.

"Yeah, Mae. You will."

She grins happily and turns to look out the window.

I stop when we pull up in front of Taylor's house. When Taylor steps out, Mae notices. She claps her hands like the preschooler she is.

Mae leans forward when Taylor gets in the passenger seat next to me. "Hey, Mae," Taylor grins and kisses Mae's cheek.

"Hi, TayTay."

"Lean back so I can drive, please." Mae does as I ask, even though she looks disappointed. She doesn't want to be alone in the back.

I nudge Taylor and motion to Mae with my head. She glances back and takes in the pout on Mae's lips. The rest of the way there, Taylor and Mae talk. To rephrase, Mae talks and Taylor shows as much interest as she can while listening to a four-year-old rant about how much they hate nap time.

When I park the car behind the building, Mae has just finished her story.

"Sorry about Rylie's farts," Taylor says, putting as much sympathy in her voice as she can.

I get out of the car and sling my gym bag across my shoulder before opening the back door and helping Mae out of her car seat. She's already out of it by the time I get to her though, and instead I just pick her up and carry her on the shoulder free of my bag.

Taylor follows behind us quietly. I know she doesn't like it much here, but she'd do just about anything for me, let alone Mae.

As soon as the back door opens, everyone turns and their eyes on us.

"Hey, it's Flores!" Someone yells, and everyone smiles and then continues with their conversation once they realize we are, indeed, welcome here.

I realize it was Daniel who had yelled once he pushes through the crowd.

"Danny!" Mae squeals, sticking her arms out. Daniel takes her from me with ease, and she hugs his neck mercilessly.

"Easy, Mini Flores!" He laugh as she releases her hold on him. "You've got a grip like Cami's." Daniel winks at me.

Mae grins proudly. "Do you think I could fight people all day?"

"No," I interject firmly. Her face falls at that. "I don't want you getting hurt, okay?"

Mae looks over Daniel's shoulder, avoiding my gaze.

"It's because I love you, Mae."

She sighs, and turns to face me. She's still glaring as she says, "I love you, too."

I grin at her, knowing that she forgives me even if she isn't willing to show it yet.

"Why are you here?" Danny asks, readjusting Mae. "Your match is Friday."

"Bad day," I respond curtly, keeping it short. There are a lot of things I want to say, but I have to be good for Mae. I don't want her picking up on cuss words or my negative attitude, and I definitely don't want her to grow up to be like me, much less her mother. "Do you have anyone here willing to fight?"

Danny pretty much runs the place. I mean, it's dad who owns it, but he's always in the office, making Danny work with the people since he'll be running it after his father dies anyway. He's good at what he does, too. Daniel can handle his fair share of angry, illegal fighters.

"I think so. Tank's opponent didn't show, so he's just been hanging around. I can see if he's up to fight you?"

I nod. "Sounds great. I'll go get changed."

"Good. Come find us in the conference room when you're done."

He hands Mae to Taylor, and the two of them follow me around the building as I make my way to the girl's locker room.

Mae closes her eyes as I change, and when I finish she hops off Taylor's lap and over to me. She's smiling sweetly at me, her missing front tooth showing adorably. "Can I hitch a ride?"

I know what that means.

I sigh, picking her up and swinging her body around so that she's sitting on my shoulders. Taylor grabs my gym bag for me, and I smiled gratefully at her.

Taylor sticks to my side as we worm our way through the big building, our destination down at the other end.

When we get to the conference room, Danny is already sitting at the big table, Tank planted next to him.

Tank's real name was Henry, but it isn't as intimidating, so everyone game him an elective nickname.

I sit Mae down and she skips over to Daniel in a flash. He picks her up and places her in his lap. I smile at the sight. Daniel is like Mae's big brother. He's her favorite person.

"So," Tank clears his throat as Taylor and I sit down across from him, "How much you wanna put down?"

I raised an eyebrow challengingly. "How much you wanna lose?"

Tank holds my gaze for a second before cracking a grin. "Damn, Flores. Snarky as ever, aren't you?"

I laugh and nod, relaxing in my seat. "Haven't found a reason to be nice."

"Well, I don't know about you, but I don't have much cash on me. I was supposed to fight- what was his name? Right, Kingsley, a scrawny little bitch, for fifty."

"Language, Tank," I motion to Mae.

"Sorry. Anyway, I have seventy-five on me, but I don't wanna have nothin' if I lose."

"When you lose," I correct him.

He snorts. "So, fifty?" Fifty is low compared to what I usually put down. But I'm not here to earn cash. I'm here to release anger.

I nod. "Works for me. Taylor?"

She knows what I want and hands my gym bag. I unzip it and pull out the equivalent of fifty dollars, and Tank does the same. We both hand our cash to Daniel.

"Alright. Let's move to the arena."

When I get home that night, I have fifty more dollars and a lot less anger.