fifteen

G I L L I G A N

Camilla walks out into the open arena, her long gait showing how confident she felt.

"Are you guys ready?" Daniel booms into a megaphone.

Camilla and Herrick stand on the spray painted lines that Herrick and Sly started out on. They both stick a thumb in the air and after a few seconds, Danny pressed the button that let out a weird ass buzzing sound either him or his dad had rigged into the arena, signaling the start.

It was quiet in our box now, but we could hear the yelling of supports for Camilla or Herrick on either side of us in the stands. I heard her name louder and more often than his, and it caused a small smile to perk up on my lips.

Camilla and Herrick are moving pretty fast, so it's hard to catch every movement, but I can tell that Cam throws the first successful punch. She ducks a lot of his, but one punch from Herrick lands on her rib and she almost falls trying to dodge it.

I can see Camilla take a deep breath, almost as if preparing herself for what she's about to do next.

And then, as quick as can be, she feigns punching his stomach and instead punches Herrick's shoulder so fucking hard that his body turned. Before he could correct himself, though, she kick the back of his knees, making them buckle while she presses down on the back of his shoulders.

This forces him down, and Daniel claps loudly.

I guess she won. I know it when she turns toward the Buzzer Box and gives me a thumbs up.

I clap and grin widely. Camilla bows dramatically, making me laugh.

Destiny stands up from her seat in the corner of the box where she'd been waiting for her turn impatiently. She couldn't have even seen the fight from there, meaning she would be totally unprepared if Cam decided to pull another stunt like that.

I return my attention to outside the box. Herrick and Camilla shake hands, and he smiles at her, showing that there aren't any hard feelings.

He started walking toward the Buzzer Box now, and when he opened the door, Destiny rolled her eyes. "Way to go, fuck face." She tossed her money at Daniel. The shy side of her I saw in the conference room was definitely gone now. "That tiny bitch out there beat you. Watch and see how fighting actually works, fuckwad."

"Um," I stand up and looked at Destiny with a sharp expression on my face. "You didn't even watch. Herrick did a damned good job, Camilla just did better. So why don't you get your artificial ass out there so we can watch you get knocked to the ground."

That was kind of far, and I knew it. But I wasn't going to apologize, no way in hell.

Destiny scoffs and turns around, heading out of the box to go stand across from Camilla. Camilla smiles at Destiny, but Destiny does not return it.

Camilla flipped her off and I hear the words, "Ready to fight, you fucking bitch?" leave her mouth.

I turn when I feel Herrick's eyes on me. "Thanks, kid."

I smile and nod before turning back to watch the fight.

Again, Daniel asks if they're ready. When he receives the thumbs-up from both of him, he presses the buzzer and we all watch to see how this plays out. Outside, I hear no one rooting for Destiny. I take it she's  hated by all. 

Destiny goes down super fast. She throws a punch and it lands on Camilla's stomach, but it doesn't even make her stumble back.

I take it Destiny sucks ass at what she does. Camilla kicks Destiny's legs apart and then punches her in the side. Destiny kind of stands back up, but she had her feet planted too heavily so Camilla couldn't move them again. But this actually just made it worse, because one more solid punch from Camilla and Destiny was on the ground.

When Destiny stomps back in the Buzzer Box, she sits lazily in her corner again. When she feels me smirking at her, she just flips me off and pulls her phone out to scroll on Instagram or some shit.

Ford moves out next, and last.

He's been watching Camilla, and I guess this made him nervous. And after Destiny, she was kind of pissed. I mean, the bitch treated her like shit, and Camilla probably didn't get to say everything she wanted to.

Her eyes are dark as the Buzzer sounds.

Ford jumps back a little when Camilla lunges at him, and she misses her punch. He lands one on her, and as she tries to recover another blow is delivered to her arm. But she's recovered now, and when Ford, who has gotten cocky, tries to land another, she grabs his wrist and twists it, making him turn to relieve the pressure. When he's mid-turn, Camilla kicks his legs without letting go of his arm and he stumbles, nearly falling but catching himself. She uses his arm and shove it at him, making him fall back again.

If those had been the eyes she'd met me with on my first day there is no fucking way I'd still be in this country.

Camilla punches his face, now landing a solid punch on his nose, hard enough for him to go down.

She's breathing heavily as she looks up, putting her hands on her hips. Ford's nose is bleeding.

"Is she allowed to hit him in the face?" I ask Daniel.

He turns to me and shrugs. "Anything goes here. Most people don't, but, I mean, you saw the fire in her eyes."I did. It scared the fuck out of me. 

I nod.

I watch Camilla apologize to Ford, but he just shrugs it off. They both came into the box together, and Cam smiles when she sees me. I grin and pull her in for a hug. She's stunned and doesn't move.

It was then that I realize that I'm hugging Camilla.

I back away quickly. She isn't a super touchy person, especially when it comes to me.

When Camilla took in the expression on my face, she just laughs and wraps her arms around me.

Camilla Fucking Flores is giving me a hug.