seventeen

G I L L I G A N

It would be a major lie to say that I hadn't stayed up all night thinking about Camilla's secret life. But it's morning now, and I'm absolutely drained. And yet, I'm still thinking about the Arena. It was insane

I mean, I think it's safe to say that Camilla being the best fucking fighter out there is something worth pondering over. It was like seeing a whole new side of her. She looked so carefree, even though she was beating people's asses. That was where she belonged- Camilla was a fighter. And not just in spirit, like my mom says. A literal, god damned fighter.

So I know that much about her. But, it still isn't really enough, as selfish as that is.

I want to know about her mother.

But I know how Camilla is. And I knew that there is no way in hell I'll push her to tell me something she isn't ready to.

And as crazy as it is, I do care about her- even if she doesn't feel the same about me.

When the sun rises, I know there's no way I'm going to get to sleep.

I sigh and roll off of my bed, which is still made since I didn't even get under the covers last night. If anything is even going to remotely wake me up it's going to be a shower.

I don't have any plans for today, so I just grab a plain black T-Shirt and a pair of yellow Abercrombie and Fitch joggers. If I'm going to do nothing all day, I'm going to do it comfortably. 

No one is awake yet, which isn't really a surprise. My mom's probably tired from babysitting Mae, and Dad always sleeps in on Saturdays. At least I can take my time.

Twenty minutes later, I'm squeaky clean and a little less tired. I still have no motivation, though, so I grab a granola bar from the kitchen and leave my parents a note just in case I'm back when they get up.

Went for a walk. Be back soon.

After I finish off the granola bar, I pull my black Nike shoes and head out the door.

I do not even get off of my porch, however, before I realize that there is a familiar red car parked in the driveway.

It look like she's been sitting there for a while.

Camilla steps out of the car slowly, a sheepish smile sitting on her lips. I raise an eyebrow and take a few steps closer. "Um, hey, Cam."

She closes the car door and I take in what she was wearing. Her shirt is a flowy maroon crop top, and light wash ripped skinny jeans. "Hi, Gilligan. Look, I'm sorry for just sitting in your driveway like a-"

I cut her off. "No, you're good. I was bored anyway."

She smiles and looks around. "Also," her eyes find mine again, "I want to apologize. For being a bitch when I first met you. I'm not good with, uh, new people."

I laugh and gave her a dubious expression. "No shit."

Camilla grins. "Are you busy right now? I have a place we can go."

"Where's Mae?"

"She and I spent the night at Taylor's. She wasn't awake when I woke up, so I left her there. I'll pick her back up in a few hours." Camilla smiles for a minute, like she's thinking of something. "Trust me, she'll be overly excited when she wakes up and sees I'm not there. She'll think that she finally gets to move in with her bestie TayTay." Camilla air quotes the last few words, and then pauses, looking at me, waiting for an answer. 

I shrug and walk over to the passenger side, pulling the door open. "Where to?"