ten

G I L L I G A N

The doorbell rings sixteen minutes after Camilla read my last message.

I wait ten seconds before pulling it open, and first I see Camilla. She's wearing grey sweatpants and a plain black tank top, her raven hair tied up into a bun that looks like one of those Japanese fans.

When I glance down, I notice a little girl who looks almost exactly like Camilla standing super close to one of her legs. I smile at her. "Hi, I'm Gilligan." I get down on one knee so I can stick my hand out. "What's your name?"

She takes my hand gingerly, shaking it. "I'm Mae."

"Beautiful name," I tell her, smiling. She blushes and I laugh, standing up. "Um, you guys can come in."

Mae doesn't hesitate as she speeds over to our dog, Mavis. She drops down next to her and immediately gets started on aggressively petting her ears.

Camilla does, however, pause before carefully walking in. "I can't stay very long," she tells me, crossing her arms over her chest, looking around. "I kind of have somewhere to be." She looks cautious, guarded. 

"I figured that much. You know, since you were desperate enough to let your sworn enemy watch her." I waggle my eyebrows sarcastically, letting her know that it's a joke, just in case her heart is truly dead and not just buried alive.

She rolls her eyes, but when her gaze lands on Mae she smiles a little. "Anyway," Camilla looks back at me, the smile vanishing, "I should probably be back before nine. I fed her, so don't let her convince you otherwise. I mean, if you want to give her something you can, but don't feel like you have to. If she falls asleep, don't wake her up. I can just carry her out to the car or whatever. But um-" Camilla pulls her phone out of her pocket and checks the time. "I have to go. I'll see you later."

Camilla starts walking out the door, but before she can pull it closed behind her, she turns and says, "Thank you for doing this."

And then she leaves. 

I still don't move, even when her taillights fade from view. And then I remember Mae. 

Still shocked from something with a positive connotation coming from Camilla and being directed at me, I turn to face her. "So. What do you want to do?"