twenty-six

G I L L I G A N

I stay up all night after Camilla leaves, trying to get my... proposal right. If I'm going to ask her out, it has to be perfect. It has to be Camilla.

I drive to Walmart and got all the supplies I need to make the poster.

I finally finish it at three in the morning, so I set an alarm to wake up three hours after that, needing to get to school early if this is going to work.

[+]

I don't even feel tired when I wake up. I just shower, get dressed, brush my teeth, put on deodorant, and then grab my bag (which is full of everything but homework), the poster board, and my phone before heading out the door for school.

When I get there, I have to go around back to get inside the building. I figured out previously that there was only one unlocked door when it wasn't school hours, probably for the teachers and staff to get in. The only reason I know this is because of Camilla, ironically. On my first day, when I sat next to her at lunch, I was scared shitless the rest of the day that I decided to sneak back in after school to get my homework rather than risk her coming to my locker for revenge. 

Instead, I use it to get to the roof. There's a garden up there, not that it matters, but it's used for the Agriculture kids to grow plants in the spring.

I unzip my backpack and get everything set up.

By the time I had finish, it's 7:30. The early risers are starting to show up and enter the building.

I stand, waiting by the parking lot so I can see when Camilla pulls into her usual spot.

She actually arrives faster than usual, just ten minutes after I began looking for her.

I send her a quick message.

Stop right where you are and look up.

I watched as she does, seeing her laugh when she notices me waving at her. I grin widely and motion for her to come and join me, and when she enters the building I plug the light strip in before grabbing the poster board and holding it up while facing the roof entrance.

A few moments later, the door opens, and she steps into view. I can't help but see how beautiful she is with the rising sun shining on her face. 

I'm still grinning; and when she reads the sign, she starts laughing.

BE MY FUCKING GIRLFRIEND.

"That's perfect," she smiles, taking the few steps she needs to get to me. Camilla starts looking around at the Chinese lanterns I'd hung up around us. The little blanket on the ground with a box of donuts sitting on it. Finally, her eyes land on me. "All of this is." I can tell I'm included in the all, and I can't do anything to keep the blush off my face.

I smile sheepishly and drop the sign, propping it up on a big pot with a growing tree inside it. "Does that mean you'll be my girlfriend?"

"Fuck yeah," she laughs.

I laugh back and pulled her closer to me, kissing her. I feel her arms land on the back of my neck, and I put my hands on her waist as if that could bring her any closer to me.

I pull back and smile at her. "Fuck yeah," I repeat.

She grins before walking over to the blanket and plopping down on it.

"Come on, Gilligan. Let's eat these donuts before the bell rings."

My name rolls off her tongue in a whole new way now. A way that I'll never get used to but never forget.

She is fucking perfect. 

In a fucked up sort of way.