twenty-four

G I L L I G A N

My dad is staring intensely at Camilla, waiting for her to answer.

"What?" Camilla looks like she still hasn't processed what he's just finished telling her.

My dad chuckles and leans back in his seat. "I'm a lawyer, Camilla. I've heard about you through Mae so much, it feels like you're my daughter. She clearly loves you so much. If Mae speaks in court saying she wants to remain living with you, I'm certain I can make that happen. However," he gives Camilla a pointed look, "You'll have to get a real job first. I don't care if you keep fighting as well, but you'll need to have another source of income that we can tell the judge about. Something legal." He sighs. "I'll pretend I don't know about the other thing."

Camilla sighed. "I turn eighteen in two months. I can get a legit job as a boxer then." It's easy to  tell she's been thinking a lot about this.

"Yeah. But until then..." my dad shrugs. "I'd like to offer you a job as my assistant."

I watch as Camilla's eyes grow wide. "No way. I can't ask you to do that."

Dad laughs, leaning over to smack her on the knee playfully before sitting back into his chair. "You didn't ask, Camilla. I offered. Besides, you need it if you want to get custody of Mae. If you want to get away from your mother. It's not like you wouldn't earn it, anyway. You'd be dealing with all my old files, getting me coffee or lunch. It'd be just enough money to get you by on utilities and groceries. How's that sound?"

Camilla runs a hand through her shoulder-length hair. "I mean, it sounds amazing. But-"

"Stop," my dad tells her. "I need the help, anyway."

"Who's going to watch Mae?"

My mom pipes up then. "Oh! I'm always bored. She can come here after school."

For the first time ever, I see hope in Camilla's eyes.

She smiles at my parents and then nods. "Alright. Okay."