nine

C A M I L L A

Friday comes faster than I can hope for. Gilligan has continued to sit next to me at lunch, and Taylor has been forcing me to play nice. The sneaky little bitch even gave him my phone number, as well as hers. She's lucky I love her, or things would not have played out as well with that one.

If she was anyone else, I would have kicked her ass to Australia.

Usually, when Gilligan texts me, I wouldn't answer.

So when it dings, I only glance down, see that the message is from Gilligan, and then put the phone back down. I have a fight to prepare for.

It's six in the evening, meaning I have an hour to get ready and get down to the arena. I have my gym bag ready and the money I'm bringing for my fight with Kate, or Sly, as everyone called her.

All I have to do is get Mae ready so I can drop her off at Taylor's house.

My phone dings again, and I groan, pulling it out of my back pocket. It is, again, from Gilligan.

The first one was one word-

Hey.

And the most recent one: Taylor said she can't watch your sister. She asked me if I could, and as it turns out I can. So.

I  refrain from screaming. There is no way in hell I'm letting you watch my sister. I barely know you.

He responds almost instantly. Well, that wouldn't be a problem if you would talk to me instead of glaring every time I say hi to you. Or if you answered my messages every once in a while to say more than 'stop fucking texting me.'

Why would you want to help me anyway?

Because you are my friend, Camilla. Even if I'm not yours.

What the fuck.

Cut the shit, Gilligan. Why are you doing this?

I just told you. I want to help out my friend.

Something tells me he means it. I don't take him as a liar. Gilligan actually thinks of me as his friend.

Fine, send me your address. I'll be there in fifteen.

Gilligan does, and I help Mae get her shoes on. "There's been a change in plans," I tell her, smiling like an exciting thing is about to happen even though I definitely don't think it's exciting. "I'm sorry, but you can't go see TayTay this time."

Mae looks confused. "Where am I going, then?"

"His name is Gilligan. He agreed to watch you tonight."

Mae pouts a little. "Is he your friend, Cami?"

I swallow no, nodding instead, only so she'll agree to it. "He's really nice. You'll like him a lot."

She shrugs, and I stand up, grabbing her hand. "Alright," Mae says. "When are we leaving?"

I smile at her. "Now, actually."