Chapter Nine

Rylan and I stand our ground as my father approaches us. Bruce, Rylan's father, is not far behind.

When the two reach us, my father is red in the face. I lift my chin, looking down my nose at him.

"Not here." My father says, with a disappointed sigh. I raise my eyebrows.

"With the other packs here, we can't afford to show weakness." I roll my eyes, and grab Rylan's arm. She has been avoiding her father's gaze the whole time. I tug her toward the castle and whisper in her ear.

"Don't worry, I'll take the blame."

She nods but looks at me worriedly. When she speaks, she keeps it low enough that my father cannot hear.

"What will happen to you?"

"I have no idea, but he wouldn't risk my place in the ceremony."

Still, the worried look won't fall from her features. With a sigh, I tug her the rest of the way into the house without another word. Thankfully, the hall is empty when my father walks in behind us.

I put my hands on my hips, stepping between my father and Rylan. He watches her behind me, and she refused to meet his gaze.

"Since Kira is obviously going to take the punishment for both of you, I suggest you find somewhere else to be, Rylan."

She stiffens, but nods and scurries off down the hallway, in the direction of her room. I turn to face my father, opening my mouth to speak, but he grabs my arm and drags me into his study on the other side of the hallway.

Once we are inside, I wrinkle my nose at the amount of dust floating through the air. My father has a few studies scattered across the castle, but he only ever used one. But the rest of them just sit there, collecting dust. Just like this one.

My father sits behind the desk, clasping his hands together before levelling his gaze at me. I stand in front of the desk, my hand on my hips, waiting for him to speak.

When he does, he let's out a sigh and rubs the bridge of his nose.

"Kira, I told you directly that you were not to patrol the woods right now."

"And? How do you know I was patrolling? Maybe Rylan and I were warming our wolves up for today."

"You and I both know that isn't what happened. You-"

My mother knocks on the door and steps inside. She glares at me, and turns to my father.

"Someone wants to speak to you."

"Not now." Dismissing her with a wave of his hand, my father turns back to scold me. But my mother doesn't leave the room. Instead she moves to my side.

"Kira, you cannot go against my word! Especially not when other packs are here!"

I roll my eyes and scoff.

"None of them knew I wasn't supposed to be out there! As far as they knew it was a common occurrence!"

"But you and I know you weren't supposed to be out there. And because of this you must be punished." My mother nods with his words and I barely  keep from rolling my eyes again.

"With the ceremony coming up, you will continue to participate," My mother let's out a sigh at this, but I wait for my father to continue.

"However, you will not be able to shift into your wolf during the fights." There it is. His low blow.

"You cannot be serious!" My mother shrieks. The door behind me opens, but I do not turn around. I continue to stare at my father, hiding my emotions.

"I can and I am. She has broken a clear order from her alpha and must be punished!"

"But, Bruce! She may not hold her rightful place at our pack if she cannot fight as her wolf!" I growl at my mother, scowling. I sense the person is still standing behind me, just within the doorway, listening to the conversation.

"Mother, leave it be. If he wishes to make me show my strength, then let him." Confidence fills my voice as I speak. I turn on my heel, and walk out of the room. I only pause once, to glance at the person by the door. I do not recognize him, so I keep walking. As I walk out into the hallway, I turn and stride down to Rylan's room.

The hallways are completely empty, giving me time to think about what just happened. My father has essentially thrown me under the bus. A person's wolf is ten times stronger than the human side. Meaning I will have to be smarter and quicker than my opponents.

The ceremony will last for the whole week, with everyone fighting two wolves a day. Tonight, everyone will fight one wolf and then there will be another banquet. At the end of the ceremony, there is a big feast, and the ranks are announced. Then everyone is assigned to their new pack. You can only pick the pack level you are awarded or lower, ensuring the stronger packs stay strong. But this also gives the weaker packs a chance to recruit stronger wolves to build their status.

As I stop outside Rylan's door, I hear her pacing the room. I smile, knowing she is worried about my punishment.

I open the door, not bothering knocking. Rylan's gaze jerks up to meet mine as she stops in front of me. Before I can say a word, she throws her arms around me in a hug. She starts babbling questions, not waiting for my answers.

"What happened? How much trouble are you in? Am I in trouble? What's your punishment? Are you going to miss dinner? Tell me your not going to miss dinner. I can't stand going to dinner without you. What if-"

"Rylan! Slow down!"

She takes a deep breath before grabbing my shoulders tightly.

"Kira, tell me what happened." She says slowly after calming down a bit. I smile grimly at her before speaking.

"I can't shift into my wolf during the ceremony."

"You WHAT?!!!???!" Honestly, you could probably have heard her in the hallway.

"Do I really need to repeat myself?"

She ignores my comment and continues screeching about my punishment.

"He cannot do that to you!!! That would literally guarantee you a spot in one of the lower packs!!"

"Thanks for the confidence..." I mumble under my breath. She pouts at me.

"I didn't mean it like that."

"I know."

"It's okay! You will do the best, and then I can shove it in your father's face!" She shouts, marching around the room. I giggle at her antics before we hear a horn from outside.

"Looks like the competition is starting, we better get out there." Rylan says, voicing my thoughts. I nod, linking my arm with hers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rylan is definitely a good friend, even if she gets caught up. Next chapter, get ready for some competition.

Don't Forget To Vote!!