Chapter Twelve

Rylan and I make our way back up to my parents. My mother is deep in a conversation with the Luna of another pack, while my dad is telling wolves who they are to fight.

I drag Rylan with me as I push through the small crowd gathered around my father, and he sighs when he sees me.

"Kira, your next fight is with a male from the Rising Tide pack, his name is Cole Rodney. Rylan, your fighting a female named Jade Smyth from the Blood Moon Pack."

With that my father turns back to the group, dismissing us. I growl a bit before tugging Rylan with me out to the fighting circles.

"Great, another low pack." I growl as I search for my next opponent.

"Not me!!!" Rylan sings, almost skipping next to me.

"I got that chick who kept giving you the stink eye yesterday."

Rylan seems pretty proud of herself with this pairing, and I can't help but roll my eyes. A smirk is sitting on my face as Rylan gets excited to fight Jade.

"You do realize she will probably be better than you."

Rylan looks at me in mock horror. She lightly slaps my arm and glares at me playfully.

"Don't you dare underestimate me!! I can take you down on a good day!" I scoff at Rylan.

"Rylan, that's only when I let you win." I say. She puts a hand over her heart, faking hurt.

"Ouch. My dear friend, that wounded me." I chuckle as I find my fighting circle.

"Well, I'll see you after this fight then!" Rylan shouts to me as she runs off to find her opponent. I roll my eyes and turn toward Cole, the wolf I am fighting. He is definitely taller and broader than me, more muscular too. If I hadn't seen his wolf earlier, I might be intimidated. But I recognize his scent from when Rylan and I went running, and all the wolves there were smaller than my own.

I step into the circle, Cody following suit. Some wolf walks into the circle and announces everything, clearly trying to draw a crowd. It certainly does work, with my father making me look ambitious and cocky, and with this guy being twice my size.

Cody glowers at me, cracking his knuckles. I smirk and roll my shoulders, acting completely disinterested in this fight. The wolf yells fight and immediately, Cody shifts to his small grey wolf. It almost would have been better for him if he had stayed in human form. I chuckle at the thought, my wolf once again trying to push her way out to fight, as Cody's wolf lunges at me. I duck and roll to the opposite side of the ring.

Quickly, I jump to my feet in time to see Cody darting toward me again. I dive headfirst over his shoulder, narrowly missing the paw he swiped at my belly. I bounce up to my toes, dusting the dirt from my leathers, I leap over Cody's wolf as he charges again. Only this time, I don't fly over him. I snatch ahold of the fur on his shoulders and neck. Wrapping on arm around his neck, I grip his sides with my legs. He bucks and kicks, scratching at my arm, but I don't let go.

Cody's wolf shakes his head from side to side, before flopping over into his back, trying to crush me beneath him. I let out a puff of air, feeling his weight crushing down on my ribs. I start to tighten my grip on his neck, but I am unable to catch my breath. I let go and Cody's wolf immediately jumps up. I duck in a huge breath of air, coughing. Cody's wolf takes the opportunity to lunge at me. But I'm ready for him.

I kick my legs out, tripping him before he can lunge. He trips to the ground and I jump on top of him. My class elongating from my fingers. My teeth sharpen to points and I dig my fingers into the side of his pelt, holding him in place and releasing the scent of blood into the air. While his wolf tries to nip at me, I snarl, bringing my fangs dangerously close to his throat. With a whimper, Cody stops flailing and submits to me.

Everyone around me starts yelling, both cheers for me for winning, and insults at Cody for giving up so easily. I detach my class from his side and Cody shifts back to his human skin. I stand and help him to his feet, shaking his hand in congratulations for fighting as well as he did.

Cody bears his neck to me once again, before walking to his alpha with his head held low in shame. I wince as I realize the pain in my arm. The scratches from the last two fights are getting to me. Nothing too major yet, but blood is trailing down my arm. I set out to find Rylan, the shouts of wolves filling my ears. Everyone is either cheering or booing. There is no in-between.

I shove through another group and follow Rylan's scent through the crowd.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is where I have started to edit majorly and re-write some parts of this book. If you are reading this for the first time, you might want to stop here and wait till I finish the rest of this.

As always,

Don't Forget to Vote