Chapter Fifteen

Rylan is back to emptying out my closet. With my fight after the dinner tonight, Rylan wants me look like a princess. I thoroughly disagree with the idea, but Rylan won't hear of it.

"What about this one?" She says, holding up a purple gown. I scrunch up my nose and feel my legs starting to itch looking at the skirts. They are made from layers upon layers of tulle and the bodice is cinched tightly in the back with a sweetheart neckline e to round it all out.

"Rylan, how do I say this nicely... It's not my style."

"Well, dresses aren't your style."

I roll my eyes and start running a brush through my hair. My hair is filled with static from my bed, and according to Rylan, it needs to be perfect.

When I look back up, Rylan has literally gone through every dress I have in the closet. She doesn't want me to wear any of the same ones from yesterday.

"Ooooooh!!" I hear Rylan yell from back inside my closet again. I toss the hairbrush to the side as Rylan walks in with another dress slung over her arm. Without asking what I think, she tosses it onto the bed next to me and tells me to try it on.

Sliding out of the sweats and sports bra I am wearing, I slip into the gown. It is way over the top, in my opinion.

The gown is one material that feels like silk. The skirts wave gracefully around my legs, and a thin strand gathers them at my waist. The neckline of the gown is two pieces of the dress that gather into a single strand over my shoulder. And to top it off, the whole dress is a bright, shiny gold color.

"No."

"What? Why not? You look amazing!!"

"How about because I am a wolf, not a god damn princess?!"

Rylan huffs and retreats into my closet once again. I do like the dress, but it seems kind of overkill for a dinner. Especially since the neckline basically grazes my belly button.

I stand in front of the mirror and twirl the gown. I love the way it catches the light, but it is seriously too much for a simple dinner.

Finally, Rylan emerges from the closet with a simple green gown in her arms. She looks defeated. She wanted me to dress way over the top, but I do not want to stand out that much.

I switch dresses and give her a nod of acceptance of the gown she brought me. It is emerald green, and it is fitted to about my knees. The neckline is really low cut, and the dress blossoms out at the knees. It is a very simple looking gown and I can handle on dinner in it.

"Thank you Ry!!" I shout, so she can hear me in the closet. She mumbles back and I smirk. When she walks out, she is wearing a simple purple gown, much like mine. Except her neckline isn't nearly as low as mine. She hands me a pair of gold, gladiator sandal heels. I slip them on and smile to Rylan.

"I still think you should have gone for the gold one."

"I would have literally been the spot light of attention!"

"Exactly! If people are going to stare, give them a reason!"

I look at her, trying to keep a straight face but it collapses in an instant. We both crack up laughing as we exit my room, arm in arm.

When we reach the dining room, Rylan's spirits have been lifted and she is excited for the fight once more.

"You are going to kick his ass!"

I laugh quietly and jab my elbow into her side.

"You do realize everyone in that room can hear us, right?" I whisper. Everyone is already gathered in the dining room, and Rylan basically shouted that out to them.

"Yep. And they can suck my-" I place my hand over her mouth as she starts to get louder. I chuckle and push open the door, leading her inside.

The room is full of chatter. Rumors have already begun circling about the fight after dinner.

Rylan and I take our usual spots at the table and my father nods his head in greeting. He turn back to his beta and begins talking about some pack matter.

"Kira! I cannot believe you didn't tell me your mother wanted you to dress nicer." She says, sounding a bit forced. I look over to see my mother glaring ate expectedly.

"I thought a simple gown would do. Dressing over the top would make people think I am cocky and arrogant. And you should know, mother, that I am neither of those things."

Rylan grins beside me, but captures her attention elsewhere when the food comes out. My mother glares at me intensely, but I ignore her. Placing food on my plate, I begin to eat.

After a while, Rylan nudges my arm. I turn toward her and she gestures to where Kayn and his Beta are sitting. I look, to find that Kayn, his Beta, and Cody are all watching Rylan and I. They are all obviously conversing about us, so I decide to put an end to it.

"If you three are going to gawk at us all dinner, you might as well be men and compliment us." I say, popping a grape in my mouth and I raise an eyebrow questioningly. Cody's eyes drop immediately, his cheeks tinged red. The beta inclines his head respectfully and continues to eat his food, his gaze roaming elsewhere. But Kayn, he keeps his gaze focused intently on us. I meet his eyes and stare back at him, meeting his silent challenge. If he wants to fight silently for dominance, then so be it.

I don't know how long we stay like that, until Rylan nudges my arm, jolting me. He eyes flick from his and to her. She gestures to my father, who I find watching me closely. I shrug and begin to eat again, after a quick elbow tossed into Rylan's side. She was the one who interrupted our battle of dominance.

My father takes no time in clearing his throat and standing, addressing all the wolves gathered in the hall.

"My fellow wolves, you know as well as I, that a challenge is to be taken very seriously. My daughter was challenged for her spot in my pack."

Murmurs fill the room, exposing the rumors to be true.

"Now, I know this is highly irregular. But this will not be taken lightly. My daughter will fight against Cody, of the Blood Moon Pack. This fight will commence after dinner tonight and you are all tasked with watching."

"My daughter's stubbornness has held out and she will fight this battle in her human skin as well as every other battle she would have fought."

I gulp down a bite of my food and scowl at my father. He couldn't give me a break, for just one fight.

"I cannot wait to see you all after this dinner. Good luck to the fighters, and may the best wolf win."

With those last words, everyone begins eating again. Everyone except for me. I turn my gaze against my father in a piercing glare. He ignores it and continues eating his food. Fine, if he wants me to prove myself, then I shall do it. Not for him, but for my pack.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What do you guys think of Kira's father's decision to make her fight as a human? I think he is doing it just to spite her.

Anyways, there will be two updates on Friday. (As I promised my friends that I would- LillyGbear 21powhan LydrZ08). And hope you guys look forward to it.

Don't Forget to Vote!