Chapter Ten

Rylan and I hurry out to the training fields where everyone is meeting. As we jog in, my father sends me a glare over the heads of everyone else from where he stands on a stage at the front. With him are the other Alphas, their Lunas and Betas. I just shrug indifferently, and switch my gaze to my mother. You can tell she was crying recently, probably over my punishment. As much as my mother wants me to be the perfect child, she would rather me stay with her forever than risk my space in the pack.

Rylan nudges my arm and I glance over at her. She is starting at someone on the stage, and following her gaze, I see Kayn and his Beta standing by my father. The Beta was the one who came into my father's study earlier. I let out a little growl, earning a questioning look from Rylan. I lean over and whisper in her ear.

"His Beta was the one who I told you walked into father's study earlier." She lifts her eyebrows and glances at Kayn's Beta.

"Seriously? Him?"

I nod and she continues to eye him. I roll my eyes and tug on her elbow.

"Just because he is hot, doesn't mean you have to stare at him." I whisper. She jerks her gaze down to mine and turns a bit pink.

"I wasn't, and don't pretend like you wouldn't do it too."

"Umm, I wouldn't!" I say, rolling my eyes at her. She scoffs and glances back at the Beta before turning her attention to my father, who begins to talk.

"Welcome everyone to the annual Blood Ceremony! The rules are as follows:

"Each youngling will be paired up with another regardless of gender or skill level. They will fight until one cannot continue or forfeits. The winner of each round will continue fighting opponents until the sun sets each day. Then, when the sun rises, the fights will continue until we have a winner. The losers will continue to fight amongst themselves to determine their ranks."

"I will tell everyone where the first pairings will be, but first I have an announcement."

Everyone holds their breath, and I know her is going to talk about my punishment. I square my shoulders and lift my chin up, looking confident as my father continues.

"My daughter has decided to show her grit and determination above all else. She is set to be the next Alpha of my pack, but she wants to prove her worth."

I'm pretty sure I stop breathing when he says all this, anger flooding through my veins.

"My daughter has chosen to fight solely in her human form."

Many wolves begin to murmur as my father speaks. I can already feel the  glances my way before my father begins to speak again.

"I know this may come as a shock to many of you, but my mate and I agree that she has the potential to hold up her position completely in human form."

My father continues talking but I drown him out. How dare he make it seem like I am choosing to do this? It makes me look reckless. But it also makes me look ambitious, maybe too ambitious.

I glare at my father, as him eyes stay hooked with mine. I let out a low growl that Rylan hears. She elbows me lightly in the side and whispers in my ear.

"It will be alright. You just have to show up your father and show him your better than his expectations."

I nod, lifting my head high and staring down my nose at my father. Without meaning to, I glance over at Alpha Kayn. Finding him staring at me with a raised eyebrow. I snort and look back to my father as he continues to speak.

"To find out who is fighting who, find your Alpha. He or she will have a list with everyone in your pack and who they are fighting. Good luck, younglings."

People murmur back, "Good Luck". I snort at the crowd as everyone disperses. Grabbing Rylan's arm, I basically drag her through the crowd. I ignore the looks that are thrown at me by the other younglings. They all think I am cocky and stuck up. I growl at a group who doesn't move from between me and my alpha. They get the idea and shuffle out of the way, lowering their heads respectfully.

Upon a closer look, I see that this groups is part of my pack. I nod back at them, not wanting to be rude. Then I drag Rylan with me up to my parents. Rylan grumbles about me dragging her everywhere, but I don't care. I cannot believe my father just did that.

"A-hem." I say, crossing my arms. My father turns to face me from where he was talking to my mother.

"Kira, your first fight is with a she-wolf from the Horizon Pack. Her name is Beth Owen."

"Are you kidding me?!"

My father raises an eyebrow at my outburst.

"The Horizon Pack is literally at the bottom. You seriously want people to think this is my idea, give me a better opponent."

My father shakes his head with a chuckle.

"Kira, if we put you up against someone you can't handle, then it ruins your reputation and the face we just made you."

"The face? The reputation?"

"Kira, honey. It's better this way." My mother butts in. I curl my lip at her.

"Really? By making it seem like I am a power hungry wolf who can't wait to prove herself?"

My father growls at me as I raise my voice.

"Kira, you are going to do as you are told. You will fight this wolf and you will move on. No more bitching and complaining! Just grow up to the Alpha you want to be!"

I snarl before stomping away. I know, pretty immature. But I'm really pissed right now. First they make it seem like it is my choice, then they stick me with a low level wolf.

Shoving through the wolves, I make my way to the ring where I am to fight Beth. I roll my eyes when I see her cowering on her side. This should be a fast fight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So, what do you guys think? Isn't Kira's father a bit over the top? Anyways, we'll see how Kira does against the other wolf.

Don't Forget to Vote!!!!