Chapter Sixteen

I stare, determinedly, at the ring of wolves around the white circle drawn in the dirt. They keep their backs to me, facing in toward the middle. On the other side, I see the top of Cody's head, and I let out a small growl. He thinks he can take my place, just because I cannot shift. That will never happen.

The crowd parts, letting me through, as they do the same for Cody.

When I get to the edge of the circle, my father is standing in the middle, his arms raised to quiet the wolves around him. When a hush falls over the crowd, he speaks.

"There has been a slight change in the rules!" His booming voice floats over the crowd.

"Both sides are to begin in human form, if either side shifts, then they both will be allowed to fight in wolf form! Is that clear, competitors?"

Cody nods his head and I glare and my father, my chin raised slightly.

"Crystal." I mutter quietly. He glowers back at me before turning to the crowds.

"Let the battle... begin." He gives a dramatic pause for effect, before stepping out of the circle.

My eyes immediately lock onto Cody. He gazes at me before starting to circle. I smirk and mirror his movements. My wolf, clawing to be let out. She had to stay in for a fight, and I haven't had the chance to let her cool down with a run yet. She has so much pent up energy, I cannot wait until I let her out.

I smirk as Cody attempts to fake me out. A light blow is thrown to my left, as he throws a real punch to my right. I duck and grab his right hand, pulling it down between his knees. He falls against my back, and I toss him away. He slides to the other side of the circle, snarling at me. As soon as he stands up, I make my move.

I get as close as I can, throwing a series of punches to his ribs. He winces with each hit, until finally, he gets a hit into my side. I roll away, breathing heavily. He cocks his head to the side before grinning. He leaps at me and shifts into his wolf mid-jump.

His wolf lands on me, before I kick him of swiftly. His wolf is tiny compared to mine. With grey fur that varies by shade, he would be good at sneaking around. Lucky for me, there are no shadows for him to hide in.

I snarl and shift into my wolf. My bones break into a new formation and my wolf howls loudly, joyous at being let out. She narrows her eyes at Cody's wolf, and leaps at him. They collide head on, my wolf immediately causing more damage. Her claws rake at his chest and underbelly, while her teeth rip against his shoulders and neck.

Cody's wolf is doing pretty good holding up. He continues to dart in and out, aiming for my wolf's throat. He leaps in, jaw snapping, before quickly running out of reach. This infuriates my wolf, to the point where when his back is turned she leaps.

Crashing into his back, both wolves tumble to the ground. A wrestling match ensues, both wolves trying to be on top.

Finally, my wolf wrestles Cody's to the bottom. He snaps at my wolf's face, his teeth coming close to my wolf's nose. She snarls loudly, sending some people in the crowd flinching.

Cody's wolf stops at the sound, his ears flicking forward. He whimpers, his entire demeanor changing. His tail curls between his hind legs, and he exposes his throat to my wolf. She snarls, nipping her teeth along his throat. He whimpers pitifully, before my wolf backs off. She snarls at him to stay down, before she tips her head back, letting the moonlight drip down her silvery coat. She lets out a long howl, that many others join in on.

When it is done, she looks over at Cody's wolf, and snorts. Without a second glance, she walks away from him. Through the crowd she pushes, people step out of her way, brushing their hands against her sides.

When she reaches the edge of people, she comes face to face with my father. He scowls at my wolf, disappointed that I shifted. My wolf does not like his disrespect, even if he is the alpha. She growls lowly at his presence, glaring at him, before shoving through the legs of people.

Rylan rushes up to my wolf, leaning her forehead against mine. We both close our eyes and Rylan giggles.

"How do you feel about a run?"

The look on my face must say everything, because she laughs and shifts into her wolf beside me. With a happy yip, we both take off through the people surrounding us and leap into the forest underbrush.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Okay! Soooo, that happened. I know this was a shorter chapter than normal, but the second chapter I promised will be up later!

There is going to be some Kira and her future mate in the next chapter! I hope the wait is worth it!!

Don't Forget to Vote