Chapter Twenty-Two

Our eyes stay glued on the bushes by us. Whatever snapped the branch makes no move to come out.

The wolf snaps out of our stupor before I do. He jumps to his feet, all the hackles on his back stand on end. I crouch next to him, tilting my head to the side to listen for more noises.

The wolf snarls, sniffing at the bushes. Before I have the chance to move, he leaps through the foliage, leaving me crouching in the shadows.

I hear a yelp, and lots of snarling. The black wolf chases out a smaller, tawny brown wolf. I recognize it immediately as Rylan's wolf, Khloe. She lowers her head to me, and I sit down on the leaves. The black wolf snarls at us, warning me to be careful. I shoot him an incredulous look.

I runs my hands along Khloe's sides as she plots onto the ground by me. The black wolf continues to snarl, not letting his guard down for a second.

"Khloe, what are you doing here?"

She just looks up at me with a guilty look, and I sigh. The black wolf growls, deep in his throat as I continue to pet Khloe. I send him a look and he quiets, sitting by my feet, still wary of Khloe.

The wind rustles through the trees and Khloe stands, nuzzling her nose into my cheek. The black wolf jumps up, snarling at Khloe and she just rolls her eyes. With that, Khloe bounds off into the woods, probably heading to the house.

I stand abruptly, causing the black wolf to look at me. He seems familiar, and his scent is antagonizing me, but I don't know who he is. Deep in thought, I trudge through the woods, headed home. The wolf follows, and he nudges his head against my thigh every few feet.

I roll my eyes at this, and the next time he does it, I bump my hip back against him. His eyes go wide and he blinks a few times, seeming stunned that I did that. I laugh and continue walking.

The wolf, walks a step away from me, but he continues to keep his eyes on me. I laugh at his, and jog as we get closer to the house.The wolf huffs at me, but matches his stride to mine.

When we break from the woods, I laugh and sprints toward the door. The wolf barks, a bright snap that echoes through the empty area. He lunges for my legs, tripping me onto the grass.

I laugh, and the wolf nudges my side, urging me to get up. I look up at him, but his gaze is no longer on me, but on something behind me. I look up and see Roger striding towards us. The wolf straightens up, all playfulness is long gone. I stand up and brush the grass from my clothes.

When Roger reaches us, he nods at me. A dismissal in its finest form. I snarl at him, the same time a growl comes from the wolf's chest. Roger's eyes widen and he glances over at me. I glare at him as he opens his mouth to say something. Before he can get a single word out, I turn and stride towards the house, ignoring him.

I hear a loud growl from the wolf, but I continue walking. A slight revelation pings through my head, and I need to find Rylan to talk to her about everything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Guys!!! We hit 1K!!!!! I'm soo excited!!!

Thank you to everyone who has put up with my inability to keep with an update schedule. Also, I hope you guys like what is happening in the book so far.

Can anyone guess who the wolf in this chapter was? I will give shoutouts to anyone who guesses right!

Now, I hope you guys are enjoying this book. And I will definitely put into an effort to update on Tuesdays and Fridays. As always

Don't Forget to Vote!!!