Chapter 2

Amy's P.O.V.

"I want to be a runner."

Everyone was quiet for a few seconds then erupted into a fit of laughter. All except for Thomas. He gave me a small smile.

"I don't see what's so funny." I said seriously. They stopped and looked at me.

"Wait, you're serious? I just told you it was dangerous. Shuck, you might want to die just as bad as Greenie over here." Minho pointed to Thomas.

"There's no way I'm letting you be a runner." Alby said.

"I'm sorry, I thought Minho was the Keeper of the Runners?" I raised my eyebrows.

"I said no." Alby said.

"Why not? Because I'm a girl? I don't know if you noticed but I'm faster than all of you." I said.

"She's got a point." Thomas spoke. Everyone glared at him.

"See, Tom here agrees." Thomas smiled at the nickname. Minho rolled his eyes.

"Look, we'll see. Just not now." he said. 

"Now just get over here so we can take you where you belong you Shank." Alby said.

"Where I belong? I do not belong in a prison! I just got here and you're already accusing me of being some kind of criminal!" I said, getting in his face. "Im. Not. Going. Anywhere."

I then turned around on my heel and walked back to the Glade. They weren't chasing me so I guess I got my point across.

I found a tree nearby and sat against it. I guess I'm a little tired from all that running. I sat there in silence for about ten minutes when someone approached me.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I just wanted to see if you were okay. Are you?" he said. I looked off into the distance.

"I don't know. I woke up in a box next to a weird girl who had a note in her hands saying we were the last ones, I can't remember anything. At all. Im being accused of being a criminal. I can't be a runner. People here are assholes. And .....I feel alone." I said, a tear running down my face. He sat next to me against the tree.

"I know exactly how you feel. Minus the waking up next to a girl part. I just got here a couple of days ago. They keep accusing me of knowing more than I say I do."  he said.

"I guess we both have problems then, huh?" I said. He smiled.

"You know, if you feel alone, you can always hang with me and my buddy Chuck. He's the only friend I have here. Except you now of course."

"So we're friends now?" I asked, jokingly. He smiled.

"Only if you want to be. I mean it would make things easier if you had a friend or two. Then you wouldn't be alone."

"I guess you're right." I said.

"So you want to be a runner." he said

"Yeah. I know I probably seem stupid for actually wanting to go out there, but its like something wants me to be a runner. I have this feeling."

"I want to be one too. They treated me the same as they did you. They thought I was crazy." he said.

"Well I guess we're both crazy then." I smiled. "Have you eaten yet?" I asked.

"Yeah, I was actually gonna head to bed. But if you go to Frypan, he's the chef here, you can get some food." he said, getting up.

"Ok I'll go now. Well I'll see you later or tomorrow." I told him.