Chapter 15

Amy's P.O.V.

"....Newt . . . Amy . . ." My whole body froze at the mention of Newt and my name. I looked at Newt who looked surprisingly calm for just being told that he want immune.

I looked at Thomas who had tears running down his face. Then I looked at Minho who was silently crying beside me. I brought him into a hug and rubbed his back.

"It's going to be okay, Minho. I'm going to be fine." I said.

"How can you say that? You were just told that you weren't immune to the Flare. And there's no cure!" He cried. I pulled away and grabbed his face in my hands, making him look at me in the eyes.

"Minho, listen to me. I will be fine. Stop worrying. Okay? Just try not to think about it, okay?" I said, he hesitated, but nodded. I leaned up and gently kissed his lips. I pulled away and have him a smile before turning to the others.

"Tommy, slim yourself." Newt said, grinning forcefully. Thomas looked at him like he was crazy.

"Slim myself? That old shank just said you're not immune to the Flare. How can you--"

"I'm not worried about the bloody Flare, man. I never thought I'd still be alive at this buggin' point--and living hadn't exactly been so great anyway." Newt said calmly. Thomas looked at Newt for a second before forcing a smile.

"If you're cool with slowly going crazy and wanting to eat small children, then I guess I won't cry for you."

"Good that." Newt said, smile fading. He caught my glance before sending me a small smile and a nod, which I returned.

Thomas turned from Newt to me and immediately crushed me in a hug. I wrapped my arms around him and squeezed him back.

Don't worry Tom. Everything's gonna be okay.

No it's not. You could die, Amy.

I know that. I've been trying to kill myself for months before I found you guys again.

Why?

Because I lost hope and had no one left. But now I have you again for a little while longer. I just want to enjoy that before I'm totally crazy.

Minho's not taking it so well.

I know. But he just has to accept that I'm not always going to be around. And you do too.

I'm gonna miss you.

I'll miss you too. But, hey. I'll make sure and say hi to Alby and Chuck for you, okay?

Okay.

And, Tom?

Yeah?

Don't give up too soon. You still have a chance.

I pulled away from the hug and rejoined my hand with Minho's.

"I wanted to get that out of the way." Rat Man said. "Mainly so I could tell you myself and remind  you that the whole point of this operation has been to build towards a cure. Most of you not immune are in the early stages of the Flare, and I have every confidence that you'll be taken care of before it goes too far. But the Trials required your participation."

"And what if you don't figure things out?" Minho asked. Rat Man walked out of the closest bed and put a hand on one of the metal devices.

"This is something we're very proud of here--a feat of scientific and medical engineering. It's called a Retractor, and it will be performing this procedure. It'll be placed on your face--and I promise you'll still look just as pretty when everything is done. Small wires within the device will descend and enter your ear canals. From there they will remove the machinery in your brain. Our doctors and nurses will give you a sedative to calm your nerves and something to full the discomfort."