Chapter 16

Amy's P.O.V.

Rat Man had returned before Newt or Minho could say anything, but I'm guessing that they're already on board with the plan.

Following after Rat Man were several doctors that took place next to each of the beds.

"We've already assigned each of you a bed." He said, looking down at his clipboard. "Those staying in this room are . . ." He named off a few people , including Sonya and Aris, but not me or any of the Gladers. "If I didn't call your name, please follow me."

We followed him down a long, windowless hallway and to another room similar to the last. He began reading from his list again.

"I'm not doing it." Newt said once he heard his name. "You said we could choose and that's my bloody decision." He said, then looked at Thomas that said 'We better do something quick before I go mad.'

"That's fine."Rat Man said. "You'll change your mind soon enough. Stay with me until we've finished distributing everyone else."

"What about you, Frypan?" Thomas asked.

We all turned to Frypan who looked a little nervous about his answer.

"I . . . think I'm going to let them do it." He said. We were all shocked.

"Excuse me? Did I hear you correctly?" I asked in disbelief.

"Are you crazy?" Minho asked.

Frypan shook his head and suddenly got defensive. "I want to remember. Make your own choice; let me make mine."

"Let's move along." Rat Man said. We left Frypan in that room and ventured to the next.

"Frypan's a shucking idiot." Whispered to Minho, who had a tight grip on my hand.

"The shuckiest." He said back.

Rat Man hadn't called on Thomas, Minho, Teresa or me until we got to the final room along with Harriet and a few others from Group B.

"No thanks." Minho said, being only the second since Newt to deny the invitation. "But I appreciate the invitation. You guys have a good time in there." He said, giving a mock wave.

"Yeah, I'm with him on this one. So, yeah. See ya." I said, mockingly saluting them.

"I'm not doing it, either." Thomas said, looking eager to get this all over with.

Rat Man stared at Thomas with an unreadable expression for a long time.

"You okay, there, Mr. Rat Man?" Minho asked.

"My name is Assistant Director Janson. Learn how to respect your elders." He said. I raised my eyebrows. 'Someone's feeling sassy today.'

"You quit treating people like animals and maybe I'll consider it." Minho snapped. "And why are you goggling at Thomas?"

Rat Man finally turned his gaze on Minho.

"Because there are many things to consider. But very well. We said you could choose for yourselves, and we'll stand by that. Everyone cone inside and we'll get things started with those willing to participate."

Rat Man left the room to go retrieve the doctors.

I turned towards Minho, Thomas and Newt, gesturing for them to get closer.

"I think he's planning something. Did you see that look he gave Thomas? Like he was mad he didn't agree to participate?" I whispered. They all nodded.

"We need to do something now, Thomas." Minho said. Thomas looked at each of us and nodded.

"I know. Just wait a little longer." He said quietly.