Chapter 4

Amy's P.O.V.

In the morning I went to walking to the crowd at the west door. I pushed through everyone, trying to make my way to the front.

When I reached the front of the crowd I found Minho and Alby looking ready to go in the Maze.

"What's going on here?" I asked. They turned towards me.

"Mornin' Greenie." Minho smirked. I glared at him and turned to Alby.

"What's going on?" I repeated.

"We're going to check out the dead Griever." He said.

"You're going too? But I thought you weren't a runner?" I asked.

"I'm not, but I just wanted to see the thing for myself." He said.

"Can I come too?" I asked hopefully. They just laughed and Alby patted  my back.

"No can do shank. You stay back with Tgomas and get some work done." He said. I sighed. It was worth a try.

"Well, just promise me you'll be okay. Don't get killed." I said. He nodded and ruffled my hair. Everyone around us looked shocked.

"Woah, woah, woah. I thought you two hated each other?" Minho said.

"She's alright." Alby said. I rolled my eyes and turned to Minho.

"You be careful too Minho. If you come back hurt or dead I'm gonna kick your ass." I said. He smirked.

"Not gonna happen, but I will. See you later Amy." He winked.

------

All day I have been working my butt off with Zart and Thomas. I finally get to relax. But one thing has been bugging me the whole day. Where's Alby and Minho?

I went to find Newt. He was eating at a table by himself. He looked worried.

"Newt, shouldn't they be back by now? The doors close soon" I asked. He looked up at me with tired eyes.

"Yeah. It's had be buggin' the whole day." He said.

---

Me and Newt stood at the entrance of the doors, waiting to see our friends.

"Where are they?" Newt asked.

"Why don't we send out a search party?" Thomas asked, joining us.

"Bloody h-" Newt  cut himself off. "We can't. Okay? Don't say it again. One hundred percent against the rules. Especially with the buggin' Doors about to close." Newt said.

"But why?" I asked.

"Won't the Grievers get them if they stay out there? Shouldn't we do something?" Thomas asked.

"Shut your hole, Greenie!" He shouted angrily. "Not a bloody week you've been here! You think I would risk my life in a second to save those lugs?"

"No...I ...Sorry. I didn't mean..." Thomas stuttered.

"You don't get it yet, Tommy. Going out there at night is beggin' for death. We'd just be throwin' more lives away. If those shanks don't make it back..." he paused. " Both of 'em swore an oath, just like I did. Like we all did. You, too, when you go to your first Gathering and get chosen by a Keeper. Never go out at night. No matter what. Never."

Chuck stood by Thomas's side.

"Newt won't say it, so I will. If they're not back, it means they're dead. Minho's too smart to get lost. Impossible. They're dead."