Chapter 14 (The Death Cure)

Amy's P.O.V.

It's been weeks since Thomas had been taken away by those people. They told us that they were just checking on Thomas because of his injuries and that they would release him when he was better.

I don't know if they forgot or if they just don't give a shit, but I was shot in the stomach and nearly died. But, whatever.

They interviewed each and every one of us. One on one. I guess testing to see how much The Flare has infected us.

"Well, I've been shucked and gone to heaven. It's Thomas!" Minho yelled, breaking me away from my thoughts. I snapped my head up and looked in the direction Minho was pointing, and sure enough there was Thomas. I got up and ran to him, tackling him with a hug.

"Don't you ever scare me like that again Thomas." I said, letting him go. He chuckled.

"I won't." He said, smiling.

What did they really do to you in there? I asked.

I'll tell you some other time.

I nodded my head and let him go.

"Well, at least you didn't bloody till over and die, Tommy."Newt said, skating his hand.

Minho came and put his arms over me and Thomas's shoulders.

"The mighty Gladers, back together again. Good to see ya alive, shuck-face---I've imagined you dead in about a hundred different ways. I bet you cried every night, missing me." Minho teased. But Thomas hadn't been paying Minho any attention. He was looking for Teresa.

" Yeah," He said before walking off towards Teresa. Minho stared at him with his mouth open.

"Did he just leave us for that traitor ?" He asked.

"Yup." I responded. We watched as they talked. At one point she had grabbed his hand causing all of the Gladers to mock and tease him. Thomas quickly pulled away and blushed deeply causing me to giggle.

"Awwww," Minho said. "That's almost as sweet as that time she slammed the end of a spear into your shuck face."

He didn't get to respond because Rat Man had entered the room and called for our attention.

"Everybody take a seat. We've got a few things to cover before we remove the Swipe."

Everyone spoke at once. I turned to Minho.

"Does this mean . . .?"

"That's right, ladies and gents. You're about to get all your memories back. Every last one of them." Rat Man said. Thomas came and sat on the other side of Minho.

"As you were informed in your one-on-ones, the Trials as you've known them are over. Once your memories are restored, I think you'll believe me and we can move on. You've all been briefed on the Flare and the reasons for the Trials. We are extremely close to completing our blueprint of the killzone. The things we need---to further refine what we have--we'll be better served by your full cooperation and unaltered minds. So, congratulations."

"So you're telling me that you sent us on a two week journey through the fucking Scorch thinking that we're going to be cured when they're is no cure?!"I yelled angrily.

"I ought to come up there and break your shuck nose,"Minho said. "I'm sick of you acting like everything is peachy---like more than half of our friends didn't die."

"I'd love to see that rat noise smashed!" Newt yelled. I looked at him in surprise. Rat Man just rolled his eyes.

"First of all, each of you has been warned of the consequences should you try to harm me. And rest assured, you're all still being watched. Second, I'm sorry for those you've lost--but in the end it'll have been worth it. What concerns me, though, is that nothing I say is going to wake you people up to the stakes here. We're taking about the survival of the human race."