Five

🥀

2/15/1986

"David, you know I hate surprises, uncover my eyes already." I playfully wined. My best friend since forever, David, told me he wanted to surprise me with something. It was only us, alone walking in the dark hallways of our vacant school at around nine pm. Our incredibly attractive principal had trusted us to close the school for the night, since he saw us as the two honorary students. I wouldn't blame him, we had the highest grades in the school with no complaints from teachers whatsoever. 

"Almost there..."  He trailed on. I heard the sound of double doors opening and a cold breeze grazed my face. "Surprise!" He shouted in excitement. As soon as he removed his giant hands from my eyelids, I saw that he had taken me to the small gymnasium. Much like the large gymnasium, rubber floors were seen just about everywhere, only a stage for the theater kids to practice performances on. But now, it was decorated with red ribbons and a mini blanket and popcorn lying on the carefully polished floors. In all, it was completely beautiful.

"David, did you do this? It looks amazing." I gleamed, walking in further to explore the neatly decorated room. "Yeah, it took about three hours, but its all worth it. Come let's sit."

We walked over to the spread out blanket and I sat down as excited as I could be. David pulled down a blank white screen and turned on a projector. I sat and pondered over why he did such a thing. We're only best friends, and that's it. I've never seen him as more than that, not once.