Nine

🖤

7/9/76 (Hidden Easter Eggs in this story)

"Well, if it isn't little Evan herself. What will it be today?"

"Hmm, vanilla double scooped ice cream with sprinkles on a waffle cone please." I smiled at the store clerk, who I knew as Mr. Johnson. Mr. Johnson was the man who owned a sweets shop near my house, he was also a friend of my father. Every once in a while, he gave me free gumdrops.

"Coming right up, help yourself to some gumdrops in that jar over there." Mr. Johnson pointed to the large jar of sweets at the far end of the counter. I wasted no time to get some to eat while he made my ice cream. While I was indulging in the candy, I noticed three men in black trench coats enter the shop, very creepy smiles upon their faces. One of them sat next to me, a little too close actually,

"Well, hello little girl. Say, you don't happen to know an Oscar Johnson now do you?" He suspiciously asked. I'm not the type to rat on someone, so I shook my head no. The strange man whispered a curse word that knew not to repeat under his breath. I wonder what he wanted with Mr. Johnson? He's the sweetest man on the block, at least to me. No pun intended.

"She doesn't know him, let's go." One of the other men said to the one sitting next to me. The man nodded, and then turned to me with a smug smile on his face. The man's smiled kind of reminded me of that show with the horse. What was it called again? Mr. Ed I think, probably. Either way, he needs to brush his teeth.

"You take of yourself now, pretty." He rubbed my chin. I responded with a mean mug, moving my chin away from his dusty fingers. Finally, they left the store. At this point, I just wanted my ice cream so I could go.

"Here it is, heaven on a cone!" Mr. Johnson came back with my dessert. He took a good look at my face and noticed how sad I was. "What's wrong, little Evan?"

"Three men came in here, and they asked if I knew you. I told them no, but one of them touched my chin. I didn't like it at all." The moment I said that, Mr. Johnson quickly handed me my ice cream.

"Little Evan, listen to me. I want you to go, run away from this store, and never come back!" He shouted.

"But why?"

"You'll understand when you're older. Just go, and no charge for the ice cream." He rushed me outside. That was the strangest encounter I have ever experienced yet. While speed walking down the street, I bumped into someone.