𝐱𝐥𝐢𝐱. the monster deep down

chapter forty-nine

chapter forty-nine. . .
the monster deep down

JACE DIDN'T THINK since Malia had returned from death and home he had seen her eat anything. The pancakes in which he had pilled onto her plate alongside bacon hadn't been touched but fiddled with by use of her fork. Malia had excuses for not eating. She had made excuses. She didn't want Jonathan's food, but she had eaten because hunger was no way going to allow her to fight through her brother. Since knowing what the mark on her chest could do, getting it off was a priority and she was helplessly beating herself up over the fact she had allowed Jonathan to escape.

Her attention was on her food she beat with her fork before Jace had broken the silence between the both of them. "Malia." He called for her attention causing her head to lift and her eyes to narrow on the blonde who had been trying to ease her mind. "What happened with Jonathan wasn't your fault."

As much as Jace wanted to comfort her, and which Malia could sense, he wasn't. "Well, Jace, he's still in New York." She retorted as she threw her fork to the side. "And I hate how I can feel that because of this stupid mark on my chest."

"We have patrols canvassing the entire city." Jace told as he had guessed eventually Jonathan would've been captured. "If he's still out there, we'll find him. I promise."

"Good morning." Ben had intervened within their conversation as he had joined the couple sitting at one of many dining tables within the cafeteria of the Institutes and where Isabelle and Clary had followed.

"Oh, hey." Malia grumbled.

Ben glared at the brunette. "Please, could you be any happier to see us?" He quipped before sitting beside the teen as he glanced at his parabatai with hope of him being ale to explain what bothered the banshee so much.

"Ugh," Isabelle had set herself down beside Jace which helped to break the tension Malia had tensed with. "I'm so hungry."

"Where have you been all morning, Iz?" Malia questioned as she pushed her plate to the side causing Jace's eyes to trail along the plate. His brows furrowed. Everything was torn by her cutlery but nothing was missing off of her plate.

"So, I found a data chip inside Greenlaw's stomach." Isabelle announced causing Clary's brows to furrow as she rested beside Ben who wrapped his arm around her whilst digging in to his food as he held curiosity with what the Lightwood found. "But it's highly encrypted. It's gonna take me some time to crack."

"Let us know."

Isabelle had reached over to Jace's plate, taking a slice of his bacon even though she had her own causing him to glare towards her as he plate had been emptied. "Hands off my bacon." He snapped.