Chapter 12 | Choices and Debts

"Bran..." Lilia says as she gets inside the chamber where her brother is. Her mother is crying, sitting in a chair next to his bed. She ran and kneeled by her brother's side, crying as well. "It can't be true, you have to wake up! You're supposed to get into the King's Guard when you are fourteen, you can't die!"

"There is no use, he probably doesn't hear you. He doesn't hear any of us now..." the woman grieved as she cried. The young girl came for us as she ran towards her mother and hugged her. "You shouldn't be in here, you have to get ready to leave with your father and your sisters"

"But I don't want to leave! We can't leave! At least not for as long as Bran is not awake and safe!" she fought back. She never wanted to leave Winterfell in the first place, that was no secret, but now... with her brother's life at risk... she didn't understand why her father could turn his back on his son! "Mother, convince him..."

"I've tried but he insists that if the King goes and he serves the King, then he has no choice" she hugged her mother once again like she was never going to see her again, which she believed to be true. When people told her she was just like her aunt, they would forget to mention how similar she was to her mother. She might look like her aunt and she might act like her in many ways, but she would share the same opinions with her mother regarding most matters, aside from Jon, obviously.

"He does have a choice, and he has made it in the name of our family" a tear fell down the young lady's face. Catelyn looked at her child, seeing a lot from herself. Sansa could be the one who resembled her the most, but she could recognize that, along with the Stark's strength, Lilia was the one who could fight back. Lilia had always been the boldest out of her five children, she wanted to be a Lady and please her mother, but the Lady of Winterfell knew that she would never be the kind of Lady that Sansa was. It wasn't a matter of who was better or worse, she just knew all her girls and she knew that they were all different. "He turned his back on us"

"Dear, I know that you want to stay but, as much as it costs me, your place is not in Winterfell anymore. It is time for you to go somewhere else and follow your own destiny. Your father didn't turn his back on our family, he is doing this for us and for his King. Promise me you won't be mad at him, he's doing his best" the older woman tried to explain her. "He loves all of his children and you'll see that, in time, we will meet you there"

"Robb and Jon won't" she pointed out. The Lady was surprised by her daughter's approach, she didn't expect her to say those things. Then, a sad look took over her face, or better said, the saddest look too over her features.

"Lady Lilia" a knock on the door was heard. She looked over to the owner of the voice, my bodyguard. "It is time to leave"

"Tell the King that he can hold his horses because if he wants me to go to King's Landing, he'll have to wait until I'm finished here" she rudely replied. Jamie wasn't having an easy job. The girl was bossy and awful to him. She hated him, and at that point, the feeling was starting to get mutual. His sister was enjoying the knowledge he had been giving her about the so-called perfect Lady Lilia Stark. He couldn't bare her anymore and he had come to realize that he was chosen as her bodyguard because, once again, the 'good' King Robert wanted to make his life a living hell and what better way to that than to make him protect a young girl who doesn't want to be protected?

"Yes, My Lady" he awfully boringly said as he rolled his eyes.

"Promise me, Lilia. Promise me you'll behave well and you won't be upset at your father" the woman tried to persuade her daughter, making her feel cornered. "He wants nothing but the best for you. He loves you"

"Fine, I promise I'll try" the woman gave her a subtle smile at managing to conquer her to at least try. Lady Stark knew her children, she knew that Lilia wouldn't stay in bad terms with her father for long, she loved him unconditionally.

"And promise me one more thing," the woman said as her daughter was standing up. "It doesn't matter where you are, who you're with, whom you're married to. Promise me you'll remember who you are and where you came from"

"I'm Lilia Stark of Winterfell, eldest daughter of Lord Eddard Stark and Lady Catelyn Stark" she smiled at her conquest. It was never easy to convince Lilia of something once she got another thought in her head. Nevertheless, Catelyn made it once it was time to say goodbye to her second born child. They hugged, at last, saying goodbye. "I love you, mother"

"I love you too, my sweet child" Lilia cleaned her tears and left the room escorted by Jamie Lannister and, as they were walking, she stopped him, catching him out of guard.

"I'm sorry for the way I've been treating you. You don't deserve it" he was shocked by the girl's words. "I recognize your good intentions on following your King's commands and I apologize for being such an unpleasant Lady to serve"

"You don't have to apologize, My Lady. It's my duty to serve you in the name of the King" the man reassured her and she rolled her eyes at him. They kept on walking and her thoughts were on whether it was appropriate for her to say it or to keep herself quiet.

"I want to thank you" she finally said as they were reaching the main yard, catching his attention once again. "You've been doing a great job and I appreciate it. I'm in debt with you for you have helped me once I got word of the tragedy that took place into my family. I shall repay you"

"There is no need, I'm doing my duty" he shortly answers, still appalled by the young girl's actions. He didn't expect them.

"I shall make your job easier and more pleasant, speaking for what I can do" she stated and looked him in the eyes, giving him a smile. "And the Lannisters aren't the only ones that pay their debts"

"Do the Starks pay their debts as well?" he asked curiously on the reply he was going to receive. Her smile opened itself even more.

"I don't know, as far as my knowledge goes, I do. Lady Lilia Stark always pays her debts" she says teasingly and that is his time to make his remark.

"Then perhaps, Lady Lilia should become a Lannister" those words made her uneasy. Would she like to become a Lannister? Even if she did, she wouldn't become one since she would have to marry Jaime or Tyrion to become one and, since they are way older than she is, that union wouldn't be a possible one. "We like those who pay their debts like us"

She headed towards the carriage where her sisters are along with the Queen and her two youngest children, Princess Myrcella and Prince Tommen. Her mother's words were taunting her mind and Jaime's words were finding a way to make sense with the ones her mother had proffered minutes prior. Then, she got to a conclusion, she had created her own war scream - Lady Lilia of House Stark, daughter of the King in the North and Lord of Winterfell, Eddard Stark and his wife, Lady Catelyn born as a Tully, later on, turned into a Stark. She had yet to make adjustments, but it was going to be something similar to that.