Chapter 13 | Sunny perfection

They rode South for over a month until they finally got to King's Landing. There were many events, unfortunate events, that took place during their way to the Capitol. The most remarkable one was the death of Lady, Sansa's direwolf. Since Joffrey was mistreating the butcher's boy for swords fighting with Arya, and Nymeria, Arya's direwolf, attacked him and then ran away, Queen Cersei insisted that one wolf had to pay the prince and, unfortunately, Lady was killed.

Winter Rose was sparred, much to her relief and happiness. Sansa was really sad so, her sister decided that she could share Winter Rose with her. She knew it wasn't the same, but she also knew it was the best she could do. She had heard that the Queen wanted both Lady and Winter Rose dead but that, by the interference of Ser Jamie, who made his sister see that neither the wolf was there nor its owner, and by the interference of the good King Robert, who learnt about it in time and stopped it.

What hurt her the most about that moment was the way that her father obeyed blindly, as if there was no reason for him to blink at all. As much as she wanted, Lilia was finding it hard to honour the oath she had made to her mother. She had promised her that she wouldn't hold anything against her father, but the more time she spent riding South, the more she held things against him, and the butchering of Lady was the most remarkable motive. She felt as if her father had stopped being himself and as if he was now some puppet that did everything the King commanded.

As they passed the gates to the Capitol, the weather was sunny and very warm, unlike the cold, icy North that they only knew. Septa Mordaine was with the girls, sitting in some sort of wagon. Lilia stood in between her sisters, who as usual was in some sort of cat-dog fight. Ser Jaime was now dismissed from protecting her since she was now 'safe'. In Lilia's mind, there was no such thing in that city. What place could she be safer at than home?!

Then, they stopped, finding a man standing in front of them. Her father got out of the horse and talked for a bit with the man. It sounded like they didn't really know each other, which was actually a good thing. It would make things easier for her since she didn't have to go through another awkward moment where she gets compared at her aunt. It would be very uncomfortable like it always is.

"Get the girls settled. I'll be back for supper" her father commanded the Septa turning back to face them. Those words made her figure what she already knew was going to happen, sooner or later. He would be absent most of the time, handling matters for the King, pretty much being the King himself, and they would be required to do anything else just because they had to be distracted. Once she thought about it, there was some irony to it. He obeyed King Robert blindly, yet he was the one who would actually rule and be the King. "Jory, you go with them"

"Yes, My Lord," the horseman said. Jory had always been one of Ned's most trusted man, which was the reason that led him to choose him to escort them to the Capitol. And then again, she knew that the northern man would give his life for the Starks if needed it be.

Once they got inside the Tower of the Hand, she looked around, paying attention to every single detail. Everything had brighter colours, and the sunlight invaded the building, almost blinding her. She wasn't used to the sun, all she had ever known all her life was the grey, dark sky filled with fat clouds. For many people, that was the meaning of discomfort and suffering, but to Lilia, it was cosy and it felt like home. However, she did have to admit, that the sunrays were something that she was enjoying so far, perhaps because they were something rare to her.

As she was shown to her chambers, she looked around only to find the room of what she felt was the room of a Princess. It had everything she could ever dream of, a luxury that she never even thought existed. Everything was perfect and everything felt like a fairytale told by the Old Nana when she was a child.