Chapter 15 | Apologies

It was the morning after and Lilia was woken up by knocks on the door and bright rays of sun on her face. As she contemplated her reflection in the mirror, she found a reddish undertone in her brown hair that she had never figured was there. Was it a thing or did the South make people's hair brighter?

"Open the door, Lilia!" a woman's voice was heard from the other side. She recognized that voice from years and years of hearing it. It was Septa Mordaine's annoying voice. Lilia didn't like to be mean to people, kindness and patience were both things that she tried to act with. Nevertheless, when it came to Septa Mordaine, things would sometimes change a bit. After years and years of living with her on a daily basis, she was profoundly tired of all the stories, critics and, most importantly, the comparisons between her and Sansa. Still a bit hesitant, the girl went towards the door and took a deep breath before unlocking it with her most comprehensive facial expression on. "Why did you lock the door?"

"Because I wished to be alone and I forgot to unlock it as I went to sleep. I'm very sorry" it wasn't a complete lie, but she also knew that it wasn't fully the truth. Lilia used to say that she was a great liar when it came to it, but she would always get caught by her mother since Winterfell was a small place and the truth would always come. In King's Landing, as the biggest city in the Seven Kingdoms, she didn't have to worry. She knew that some things wouldn't get to the Septa's ears so, she would have to fake listening to her complaints less than usual.

"Liar" suddenly, all Lilia's strategy fell to the ground. She didn't know how, but the old woman knew that she hadn't been in her chambers from the moment she dismissed herself from supper, which in the woman's eyes, was very indelicate. "I've heard people talk about your whereabouts yesterday! Jaime Lannister? Really?!"

"I decided to go for a walk outside and I got lost. I found Ser Jaime Lannister and he brought me here again. I don't understand the gossip since he was assigned by King Robert himself as my bodyguard" she quickly explained, even though she knew it was of no use. In the elder's point of view, it wasn't appropriate.

"And what do you think people are saying now? They are commenting on your reputation! What about all your suitors, my dear? What will be of you?!" she pointed out. In fact, Lilia wasn't concerned about that on the slightest. The furthest they were, the happiest she would be. "We'll ignore this! Today is your father's joust, all the bachelors in the Seven Kingdoms are going to be there. You have to make a good impression, so you better get properly ready! I brought you this dress, it was made by Princess Myrcella's tailor. I think it will look amazing on you!"

"It's a pretty dress indeed. I shall wear it today, thank you!" the young Stark thanked the Septa, who left her to get ready on her own. She put on the pale, blue dress with little white details and let her hair lose, with just a small, tiny braid in the middle of it, decorating it with pearls. She then headed to have breakfast with her family. Things were much clearer to her that day. On the other hand, her sisters didn't seem like the night had been good to forget about their fight.

"Good morning," she said as she took her seat next to her father, who was already at the table. No one spoke up and silence filled the room, but not any kind of silence... it was an uncomfortable silence that made her nervous.

"Well, girls. Today we're going to sit in the front row and watch the brave men jousting" Ned tried to break the ice that made him want to say, 'Winter is here' instead of 'Winter is coming'.

"Is there going to be knights?!" Arya excitingly asked. I smiled at her as I ate my food. Sansa rolled her eyes at the little Stark. Like Catelyn, Sansa didn't quite understand or even accept Arya's interests in the slightest. To them, women must be ladies and act accordingly. They shouldn't dress up as men and be interested in savage sports like they are. Where did Lilia stand in the middle of it? Well, she knew that she had two sisters as different as the sun and the moon, and she loved them and accepted them both for who they were. Sansa was a lady the moment she was born, perfect and flawless. Arya, on the other hand, was a free spirit and was a tomboy. She envied them both in different ways.