Chapter 22 | Kill him for me

It was the day after and they were having breakfast. Their master plan had gone to waste since dear Sansa had told the Queen about her father's intentions on making her leave.

"You can't keep avoiding me forever, Lia" Sansa talked to her, whom she simply ignored. Lilia wasn't on speaking terms with Sansa. Because of her, she was forced to remain in King's Landing. "I did this for us..."

"For us? You did this for yourself! I wanted to go back to Winterfell, I wanted to leave this sickening place! I wanted to go back to Robb and Bran and Rickon! And now, because you did this for US, I'm stuck in here with no purpose at all since my intended is in Highgarden, not in King's Landing!" Lilia was absolutely upset with her sister like she had never been in her entire life. "May I be dismissed, Septa Mordane?"

"Lilia, but you have barely eaten a thing..." she ignored her Septa and left with her direwolf to take a walk in the gardens. People were afraid of Winter Rose, but she couldn't care less. She knew her Winter Rose would do anything to protect her and, at that point, she wanted those Southerners to screw themselves.

She sat on the gardens along with her direwolf, while caressing her fur. She was the only thing she had left from her home, aside from her family, who was slowly falling apart. Internally, she cursed the day Robert Baratheon had ridden North and took away all the peace and quiet in which she lived in.

"May I have a penny for your thoughts?" a voice was heard next to her. She looked over to find Petyr Baelish standing next to her. "I heard you were supposed to go back to Winterfell today"

"I was. Until Sansa decided that it was a good idea to disobey our father" she coldly replied, earning a surprised look from him. "My Winter Rose is all I have that reminds me of the North. If they ever take her from me, I don't know what will be of me"

"You have so much of your mother in you when she was your age" the man commented, earning a curious look from her.

"That one's new. I've been told that I look a lot like my deceased grandmother, a lot like my Aunt Lyanna, but no one has ever told me that I look like my mother" she said, earning a smile from him.

"Well, your mother was very lucid, just like you. She held onto the smallest things and valued everything that she had, even if she wished for better. I've been told you value people's actions very much" she nodded in agreement. She valued actions more than material things. Unlike Sansa, who liked nice things because they made her feel better than anyone else, Lilia held sentimental things above everything else. "You may not bring yourself to forgive your sister but how better are you if you resent her from going to the Queen because you wanted to go to Winterfell?"

"Perhaps you are right... thank you for your advice, Lord Baelish. I shall take it in consideration" she politely smiled. Then, some Lannister squire, who Lilia had the courtesy to name, Lannister fool, ran towards her.

"My Lady... Lady Lilia..." he was breathless and tried to catch his breath as he tried to say something in an apprehensive tone. Something was clearly wrong, and Lilia could only wish that it was nothing to do with her father. If was actually going to die, she knew she was never EVER going to forgive Jamie Lannister for what he had done and she would bring the case down to the King. "The King... he's dying..."

"No...," she said. She didn't know how to express how she was feeling at the moment. King Robert didn't mean anything to her directly, but he was her father's best friend, a friend whom he considered a brother. Truth be told, King Robert was one of the only people who ever treated her right in King's Landing, being truthful to what he wanted from her. He wasn't fake, like all of the people that she was surrounded by. He was someone to be trusted. "May the Gods have him rest in peace... I shall pray for that right now!"

"Perhaps not right now, Lady Lilia. It is the King's wish to look at you one last time. We have to hurry up" Lilia nodded and rushed with Winter Rose towards the King's chambers where she had already been in front of with Jamie Lannister. She was so foolish for trusting a man like him... or at least beginning to trust him...

"That beast may not get inside the King's chambers and shouldn't be allowed in here either" a man whom she recognized as Ser Merryn Trent spoke up. She hated Ser Merryn from the first day she ever laid eyes on him.

"It is the King's dying wish to see me again and given the fact that wherever I go, that beast as you call it, goes, I suppose we have a problem. So, if you do not wish to be the reason why the King doesn't rest in peace, I'd advise you to let me in RIGHT NOW" she ruthlessly referred to the man. Since he did not move, she opened the door and stormed inside the room, earning everybody's attention. And by everybody, she meant Cersei Lannister, Renly Baratheon, Ser Barristan and her own father. "Get out of my way, argh! You stay there, Winter Rose. Quietly!"

"I love this girl, Ned" he coughed as he laughed. Lilia approached him and kneeled in order to stay at a more levelled height. "I always did. Perhaps not this one, but I would have, had I been younger. Oh, had I been younger and I would have married her the same day I saw her. I wouldn't make the same mistake all over again, I would not..."

"I'm flattered to hear that, My King" she replied with a smile on her face. She admired Robert. How he could keep being himself even when he was about to die. 'That is how a King should die', Lilia thought. Little did she know that she was right...

"Ah, quit the delicateness, I know you are no delicate! You've shown that to my sweet wife already!" he joked. "You should have seen her face when you went up against her brother! I wouldn't have done better, I have to admit! Those Lannisters were really getting on my nerves as well, good thing is that I don't have to put up with them anymore!"

"Your Majesty, you shouldn't tire yourself and do not force your stitches, please" she pleaded with tears in her eyes. Lilia was actually upset and heartbroken for King Robert's death. She knew that having him passing to the Gods' hands meant that a lot of things were going to change, she could feel that... and she also could feel that it wouldn't be for the better.

"Ah, what will be the use, I'm dying anyway! But I understand, you're right, worrying about Lannisters in my deathbed really is a shitty death. I guess it's how they say, I'm great at killing but I suck at dying" he joked once again. His hand reached for my face and he smiled. "Good thing is that I'm finally going to see my Lyanna again and I'm getting to kill Rhaegar Targaryen all over again, how many times a day I want. Do dead people have days and nights? Nah, I guess it's always night for them!"

"Well, if you casually come across Rhaegar Targaryen, kill him for me" the girl joked, making the King laugh again.

"I'll kill him enough times for every person in the world!" he laughs and coughs right after, making Lilia worry. "Ah, do not worry! I'm not dead... yet! Just know that it was good to meet you, it felt like justice. I should have had the chance to be with you longer, we would have been great friends!"

"We already were," she says, letting her tears fall from her eyes, streaming down her face.

"Do not cry! You make me sad, we shall meet again, one day! Death is very definitive, I like to think of it as a joke" he laughs, coughing once again. "Well, my last days were very good, in the company of my Lyanna Stark. My time to meet her again is coming soon. So, out, all of you!"

Lilia headed out of the King's chambers along with Winter Rose and rushed to the Hand's Tower, where she would cry and mourn over such a great man that Robert Baratheon was. He was probably the worst man to have ever lived but he didn't live an easy life either. However, at least, he died like he lived, unlike many people. Winter Rose was her consolation throughout the day, as she also prayed for the King's soul.

Then, when the bells were heard hours later, she knew that the King was dead and that Joffrey Baratheon was now the next in line.