Chapter 19 | Marriage Arrangements

"So, how have you been liking the warm weather of the South, Lady Lilia?" the Tyrell boy asked. They were taking a walk through the gardens, which was the latest talk in the Red Keep. Apparently, it was certain that marriage negotiations were being held between the Tyrells and the Starks, which left Lady Lilia as bitter as she could be. On one hand, she knew that her father wouldn't give her away to a bad man, yet she couldn't trust that life was that linear. Her father had told her that they couldn't trust people, so how could he trust what people said about a man he never even met?

"It's been very pleasant and different from what I've known all my life" she explained. Despite being against the marriage, she didn't want to be rude to someone who had nothing to do with it, so she was making an effort to be kind to the one that would most likely become her brother in a somewhat near future. "I miss the North dearly, nonetheless. The fields covered in white snow and the blue winter roses and the walls of Winterfell..."

"We can't bring Winterfell and there certainly is no snow in Highgarden. However, once you get married to my brother, I'm sure he will make sure that winter roses are planted just for you" Lilia had come to realize that Loras Tyrell was a decent man, a gentle one even. She couldn't say if he was worthy of the title he had been given, but the truth was that he had done nothing to make her question his honour, and so that was a good start. She wondered if she was going to think the same of Willas Tyrell and if there would be a chance for them to live a happy marriage. Would they end up learning to love each in the years they would be married for? Of course, she couldn't establish a certain date, she couldn't say they would be married a certain amount of years. Only the Gods knew how long they would be married for... if they ever married.

The truth was that growing up at Winterfell, she always hoped she could live a happy marriage like her parents. They respected each other and they buried great love for the other. Her Lady Mother would smile whenever she saw her Lord husband and her deep, blue eyes would turn brighter in his presence. The same happened to her Lord Father.

They were just two strangers that were trapped into a rushed marriage and that ended up loving each other. What were the odds? Who would have known? How did they manage to do it?

Lilia remembered a conversation she had with her mother a few months before the King rode North. Her mother told her that the Gods knew what they did, both the old and the new. As the young, rebellious girl Lilia was, she didn't believe her mother. However, now that she was nearly a woman, she was beginning to understand what her mother meant by such.

Oh, she missed her mother dearly. She missed her hugs, she missed the way they would talk when her mother would comb her hair against her own will, she missed the reprehensions that she didn't understand or accept. She hated them back then, but the one thing Lilia would ask for was to have her mother by her side in a moment like the one she was living.

She needed a feminine company that would give her actual advice, good and wise advice. Instead, she was stuck with Septa Mordaine and her sister, whom she loved, but who were too young to accompany her through that phase of her life.

She had so many questions she wanted to ask her and she was so terrified of the things and the responsibilities that would come with the married life. She needed someone who would give her good advice... and she was alone... She had her father, but the truth was that men would never have the same sensitiveness to the subject.

"I want you to be happy, Lady Lilia" she was woken up from her thoughts as Ser Loras insisted on continuing with the conversation, which was expected and actually good. Perhaps if she left a good impression on Loras, his brother would have a better impression on her as well.

"I want to make your brother happy, Ser Loras" she confessed when looking at him, who retributed with a knowing smile. Loras had three brothers and he had a sister, yet he wondered how it was possible for Lilia to be so different from her. Lilia was a kind girl, also very intelligent.