Chapter One- Why Do All My Dates End Badly?

Chapter One

"Why do all my dates end badly?"

"It's because you refuse to date Latinos!"

Elena rushed down the sidewalk, a brisk pace somewhere in between running and power walking

Elena rushed down the sidewalk, a brisk pace somewhere in between running and power walking. She tiptoed around all the other pedestrians, trying, in her hurry, not to push them over and out of her way. When she reached the coffee shop, she practically door the glass door off its hinges. Elena stopped briefly once she entered, her eyes frantically scanning about the shop. Her mouth stretched into a thin smile, her brown eyes lighting up, as she saw who she was here to meet. Elena dashed across the shop floor, maneuvering about the tables and careless customers shifting in their chairs, until she reached the table in the far corner.

"I am so sorry I'm late." She stated, cheerfully laughing at her most recent attempt at turning up on time. She slide sideways into her chair and dropped her bag to the floor, kicking it under the table with the toe of her heeled boot. "How's life?" She asked, propping her head up with her arms as she leaned across the table, peering into the eyes of her dear friend, Eudora.

"Nothing much is new. I've got this friend who's late for everything! She's driving me crazy." Eudora sighed, rolling her eyes as Elena's jaw dropped. Her gaping mouth quickly changed into a toothy grin as she slapped her hand on the table.

"You're so mean!" She giggled. "Seriously, though. Nothing interesting happen in your life?"

"Between work and catching up on sleep, you mean?" Eudora asked and Elena shrugged. Eudora scoffed. "Nope, nothing's happened."

"You work too much." Elena commented, staring at the handwritten chalkboard above the cafe's counter as she decided what to order.

"And you date too much. How'd this one end?" Eudora teased.

"How do you know I had a date last night?" Elena asked, leaning further over the table to try and look intimidating. It didn't work.

"You always come in here and complain about your dates. So," Eudora affirmed, "how did this one go?"

"Terrible!" Elena exclaimed, slamming both her hands on the table. "Ever since my cousin, Anita got pregnant she stopped going out so 'dating'- if you can even call it that!- is all I have left to do in the evenings." Elena grumbled, "I went salsa dancing. Again!"

Eudora smiled, pursing her lips together tightly to try not to laugh.

"Every white guy I go on a date with takes one look at me, a Latina, and automatically thinks- 'Hey! I know where I'll take her! Salsa dancing!" She mocked, putting on a gruff voice and pulling very unattractive faces to emulate exactly the type of man she usually got stuck with on dates. "Every single time! Even if they can't salsa dance!"

Eudora covered her eyes with her hand in embarrassment and shook her head as a laugh slipped her lips.