Chapter Three- It's Because You're Being Shady

Chapter Three

"Why didn't you recognise me?"

"It's because you're being shady."

Elena sat at the table in the corner, smiling politely at the waitress who brought over her coffee and trying not to smile and the exasperated look on Eudora's face as she sat down opposite her

"Rough day, kid?" Elena asked trying to keep a straight face. Eudora cocked her head to the side and raised an eyebrow.

"Really?" Eudora asked sarcastically. "Work is a nightmare!" She said, banging her head on the table in despair. Elena lifted her coffee cup so it didn't spill.

"Dish the gossip, what's going on?" Elena asked, stirring her coffee and crossing her legs to look professional.

"So I head over to Griddy's doughnuts, where that shooting was." Eudora explained and Elena nodded like she knew what was going on- it wasn't convincing.

"And it looks like all these shooters just killed each other but get this," Eudora exclaimed and Elena nodded curtly, "there was one set of fingerprints that didn't match any of the guys there!"

"So whose were they?" Elena asked, setting her coffee down and actually investing in the conversation.

"No idea! We checked the database and the only lead I have is from a cold case in the 30s!" Eudora lamented. "And it gets worse, the only suspect I have is an old woman who works as a waitress at the doughnut place, she saw nothing! Came back and they were all dead. The only guy who was there before, some tow truck driver, dead. Tortured."

"By who?" Elena inquired, leaning across the table.

"You're loving this aren't you?"

"I like crime dramas! There aren't any good on TV anymore, this is all I got." Elena admitted. "Come on! You know you want vent to me."

"I do

"I do. I haven't got any leads." Eudora sighed, leaning all the way back in her chair. Just as she leant back, her radio chimed and a distorted static voice sounded.