Chapter Twenty Four- Don't Leave

"No! Diego! Don't leave."

Elena's breathing became weaker and weaker

Elena's breathing became weaker and weaker. Diego stared at her and for the first time Elena thought he looked vulnerable. Diego straightened up and peered over the top of the row of chairs at Cha Cha who was still on the stage. His face screwed up in anger. Elena reached up weakly for Diego. His face softened as he felt the gentle touch of her hand brush against his cheek. He looked back down at her, ignoring the cries from Five for him to get over there and help. Elena nodded weakly, it was barely noticeable she was so weak. Elena smiled softly.

"No." He whispered. "I'm not going." He said defiantly. Elena smiled and rolled her eyes as best as she could and nodded again. She looked tired. "Stay alive, promise?" Diego asked and Elena held out her hand and held out her pinky. Diego smiled softly and entwined his pinky around hers. He stopped and looked at her for another second, before he shuffled to his feet and, staying low, he regrouped with the others.

Elena lay on her back behind the row of chairs and focused on her breathing. Inhala, exhala. Inhale, exhale. She remembered what her mother told her when she'd had her jabs.

"You are strong, mija. You will get through this like you will get through everything else. Be brave pollita."

Elena blinked hard. She was growing more tired by the second. Inhala, exhala. She repeated in her head as she drew in each breath, focusing on one thing at a time.

Elena had no idea how her power worked. Every other time she had injured herself her body just took over and did it on its own. But now, her brain was the thing that had been shot and it couldn't cope. But just the fact that she hadn't died already was good news. Any other person would have died immediately. She was strong and she was brave and she was going to get through this.

 She was strong and she was brave and she was going to get through this

Elena momentarily shut her eyes and stopped focusing on her breathing. She just lay there, motionless as the rising of her chest became less and less frequent. A pool of blood had formed on the floor underneath Elena's head. For a while it stayed small but as Elena grew more and more tired, the pool grew bigger and bigger.