Predicament

Charles

"Ella these are my handmaids. They will clean you up and help you dress for dinner."

"I'm keeping this" she spins the ring between her thumb, "until I reunite with Maya." and walks away with the five maids.

How could I explain her sudden appearance in the palace? As I go to groom and dress, I try to think of an excuse.

A few hours pass until she finishes. I stand in the entry, impatiently waiting. Finally, I turn my attention to the steps, looking at her beautiful form as she descended down the stairs. Her silky gold gown flew effortlessly in the breeze, her high class make up was the epitomy of elegance. The richness of her dark skin reflected off the shiny marble floor in the palace.

She held the end of the railing sizing me up, wondering why I was forced into muteness

"You look beautiful" I blurt. She truly was a vision.

She smiled lightly as I step closer to her in wonder

"I guess I clean up pretty nice" she shrugs, not caring for my compliment, "so what's the plan, your majesty?"

"Well... I'm going to introduce you to everyone as my ....lover"

"I'm out of here!" she turns to leave.

"See! I knew you wouldn't come if I told you in the forest. Come on!" I pull her wrist desperately, "just play the part for a couple of hours! You want Maya back to don't you?" I remind her.

"Yes but—"

"I'll say I'm courting you. You come in, have dinner, you give me the ring, then I'll sneak you out along with Maya."

"And you think that will work?"

"I pray it does." I sigh nervously, "I bring a new girl to dinner every night." I brag, "you would be no different. I introduce them to my family and they are never heard from again"

"So ... a philanderer ?" she rolls her eyes.

"Something like that" I sheepishly admit.

"I will not be enjoying this" she groans, standing away to distance herself from me.