Mistaken

Timothee

I tie my white steed into the stable and reluctantly enter the palace. I had been gone for a couple of weeks, doing trade in the neighboring kingdoms of Enchancia and made it my mission to leave before the marriage festivities. I knew Charles and Sydney were getting ready for their nuptials and decided best if I was away from the gayish atmosphere.

An air of somber expression is apparent as I enter into Charles room.

"Who died? " I tease him. He turns his head from the window and glares at me.

"What's wrong with you? Aren't you glad to see me?" I chuckle, "where's our future queen?" I ask for Sydney in spite.

"How long did you know?" he whispers to the glass.

"What..."

"How long did you know she was a bandit?" he raised his voice once more.

My face turns white as I realize his words.

"Robyn... princess of thieves?" he chuckles softly, "To think the most wanted bandit was right under my nose this whole time"

"You knew what she was" I attempted to defend myself.

"A thief I did not! She is an outcast
A despicable outlaw! She's wanted in every kingdom past Enchancia! How could you hide this from me?" he yells, "you are my brother!"

"I hid nothing from you and she would have eventually told you."

"When? Before or after she took my throne?"

"After all the time you spent with her, do you really think that's what she desires? Our dad is a theif and a murderer! Do you know why she is like that? "

He remains silent.

"Her mother was killed by our father Charles! She was EXILED into a forest to a life of misery and despair. I met her one day while playing in the forest when we were young. She was so scared and frail but of course she refused to show it. She pretended to be so brave and confident despite her circumstances. I gave her my last minced pie and loaf of bread that evening. She would have died if not for that" I inform him.

He continues to look out the window in denial as he heard my tale.

"She steals but gives to those less fortunate. She takes back what out father steals from our people. It's an endless cycle that will remain idle unless there is change. She's no bandit...she's a hero and if you let something as stupid as mistaken identity tarnish your view on her, then I will be ever so happy to take your place." I fume at his ignorance.

He stands to face me, intimidated by my threat.

"She's out there in the forest Tim...she wanted her life...she missed it.. she didn't have to tell me...I could see it in her eyes and feel it in her spirit.... maybe it's best we live our lives like before.... I a royal and she a bandit" he curses.

"Maybe" I shrug and leave him to wallow in his pool of misery.

———

Charles

I knew the royals from the party were probably whispering amongst themselves about the future of our wedding plans. The gossip would reach every kingdom past Enchancia and Ephoria. It was the last day of the bachelorette/bachelor weekend and was on my way to tell the guests their final goodbyes.

As I walk through the palace to think and call off the wedding, I hear Sheriff James and Charolette whispering in a dimly lit hallway.

"When?" she wines.

"I told you, not yet. Charles hasn't called off the wedding but once he does that, then we'll move forward." the Sheriff brags.

"I'm impatient!" she groans, " I thought planting the jewelry in her bed would have persuaded him?" Charolette pouts.

"It did, but you know these things take time. You must be patient my love" he coaxes her and they kiss passionately. "Once Charles tells the king, I'll inform him of Robyn Hood and how she stole his most prized possession. He will be so furious! Our dear little Robyn Hood will be hanged for sure" he chuckles evilly.

I press my back against the stone wall, as I hear their plan, making sure to remain hidden amongst the shadows.

So Ella or... Robyn, was telling the truth! I couldn't sit here and let her die for a crime she didn't commit.

How dare they conspire against my love!

I needed to find Timothee and tell him of the recent discovery!

——