Chapter 4: Ancient Drawings

I crouched below the low ceiling of rock, holding the torch out in front of me. The way ahead of me was mostly dark, but I took comfort in the firelight. A scuttling noise almost made me jump out of my skin. I waved the torch around to see a Spinarak moving above me.

I tried to calm myself as I moved deeper into the tunnel, aware that I left the light of day far behind. I stepped on some loose gravel and nearly slipped , but I shot my arms out to grasp both walls. 

Once I regained my footing, I swung my torch in front of me and I could feel my face go white. I was staring into a very deep and very dark chasm. Getting a hold of myself, I looked for any other possible routes than going straight down. 

My luck seemed to be holding when I saw a narrow ledge leading down along the side of the chasm. About twenty feet along it was a door-like opening. I put one foot on the ledge and carefully added more weight to it. It held, so I stuck my spear in my belt and carefully put my back against the rock face and inched down the ledge.

As I moved, small rocks were dislodged and fell into the darkness below. I listened for the sound of them hitting the ground, but I heard nothing. That did not reassure me. 

After a nearly five minute heart-pounding climb down, I reached the opening. I nearly flung myself in it, gasping for breath. I slid down the side of the wall and took a couple of minutes to recuperate. I pulled on the flask with the water and drank two second's worth before stopping myself. I had to be wise on how I drank. There was still a slight taste of alcohol to it, but I was hoping all the water would nullify it. 

As I used the wall to lift myself up, I felt something smooth along it. I brought the torch to it and saw a drawing painted into the stone. I could feel the excitement starting to rush through me. This had to confirm it. I was on the Mysterious Region. 

I examined the drawing carefully. I could see figures that I assumed were human and they appeared to be walking along a path further into the tunnel. I followed them, keeping an eye on the paintings to see if they stopped or changed. 

After several minutes I reached a point where the tunnel split into two. The painted men went into the left tunnel which appeared to slope downwards while there was nothing on the right and sloped upwards.

I chewed my lip. The lure of discovery was too great in my head, so I headed into the left tunnel. The painted figures seemed to thin out, less and less being drawn. Eventually, they stopped. I examined the last couple figures. They were facing the way I was going, no. They were facing the way I had come. I looked at the other painted men and realized they too were facing the opposite direction I had thought they were. And they weren't walking. They were running. 

A chill went down my spine. I looked down the tunnel, a sense of dread washing over me. What were they running from. I swallowed my fear and continued down the tunnel. With each step I took, the more I found that I wanted desperately to turn back. Then, the tunnel opened up into a small cavern. 

I held up the torch, its flickering light illuminating the whole cavern. Paintings were spread along all four walls, depicting death and destruction. I looked around. On the far left wall, a swirling pattern was splashed with blue hues. I assumed it must be water. A giant misshaped beast was rising out of it, sending waves crashing down on cowering figures. 

The central wall showed another misshaped monster, breathing vibrant red fire down on a village from its perch on a volcano. In this scene,  dark clouds rose over the settlement, specks of black that I assumed was ash fell upon the village.

The right wall showed a lush green jungle, where a third giant beast rose from its depths, crushing all those in its path.

I took a step forwards to look at the central painting when my foot hit something and made it clatter along the floor. I lowered the torch and saw a bone. I scrambled backwards, dropping the torch in the process. The light grew smaller, but it now illuminated a painting on the floor. 

A huge monstrous creature was etched into the stone floor, the details of its long tree-like body immaculate. A large tree trunk was situated on its back, drawn with purple liquid seeping out of it. Vines hung down its body that ended in points and its face split into four parts, each lined with teeth. Its long clawed arms appeared to be reaching for the ceiling, so I glanced up.

I fell on my butt, grabbed the torch, and held it over my head. A giant four winged creature was drawn up there, dark patches splotched around it. It had one horrific bug faced head, its mouth filled with razor sharp teeth and its eye looked to be split into four. Its six legs appeared to be drawn back, as if the creature was ready to strike below it. 

"What is all this?" I whispered, then the torch began flickering. 

I looked at the flame, which was dying out. I let go of my spear and fumbled for the flint and steel in my pocket. Then, the flames vanished, as if a breath of wind blew them out. I carefully placed it on the ground in front of me and dug out the flint and steel. I began sparking the two together, creating bits of light. I located the burnt cloth and tried to light it.

When nothing happened, I grabbed the flask with the alcohol and poured a little on it. Then I sparked the tools together and lit the torch. Smiling with relief, I tucked away the flint and steel and picked up the torch. 

The flame illuminated something in front of me, walking towards me, my vision going hazy. Something was swinging in its hand. Something... The flame died and everything sank back into darkness.

Spooky eh. Well, I'll leave you all on this cliffhanger. But first, tell me what you all think about this story so far. What you like, don't like, want to happen, don't want to happen, etc. Some feedback would be nicely appreciated. Well, now I'll leave you all on this cliffhanger. Toodles