Chapter 22: Into the Hive

I awoke to the sound of rustling vines. I was instantly alert, adrenaline already pounding through me, but it was only Z. She slunk across the cave, a dead Deerling in her jaws. Her yellow eyes spotted mine in the darkness and she came over. She transformed back into the little girl, her purple ponytail bouncing slightly. She tore a back leg of the Pokemon and began chewing animatedly.

I turned my head away, feeling queasy. "Please don't eat that in front of me will you."

"Hm," she looked my way, then swallowed. "What, you want some?"

I shuddered. "No thanks."

She shrugged. "Suit yourself."

After a minute listening to her chew, I asked, "So, what exactly are you?"

She swallowed. "Zoroark."

"Yeah," I said. "But, Zoroarks can't speak human. No Pokemon can speak with humans with our language. I guess Psychic types can, but that's telepathy."

"Oh," she wiped blood off her mouth, showing me pointed teeth. "You wanna know why I can communicate with you. Well, I say it's a curse."

"A curse?" I asked.

She nodded, eyes full of malice. "Ah, that stupid deity. When I see her again I'm going to rip her throat out."

I edged away from her. Seeing a little girl wanting to commit murder, that was scary.

"You see human," she went on. "I was a special Zoroark. I was born with a curse, a different one I guess. I was unable to transform into anything. A plain old Zorua. Yet I was chosen to be a guardian of the Chief's daughter. Where she goes, I go."

I thought about that, then came upon a realization. "Wait, you were the Nidoqueen weren't you?"

She nodded, then grinned evilly. "Being that Dragonite as well was especially thrilling."

That made sense now.

Z started gnawing on the bone. "Luna hasn't told you about herself has she?"

"She said she was the daughter of the chief of the Moonlit Tribe..." I trailed off, realizing Z had been there when she had said that. "No, I guess she hasn't."

"Then no more about me," she hefted the rest of the Deerling over her shoulder. "When she decides to trust you enough to tell you, that's when I talk."

She transformed back into a Zoroark and went off into a dark corner to eat. I leaned back, wondering once again what secrets this island and its inhabitants held. I wanted to know everything. Perhaps that was selfish of me to think that in a situation like this, but I found that I didn't care.

"Even if I die," I thought. "I would like to die knowing this island's secrets."

I felt myself drift back to sleep as I listened to the faint jungle sounds from outside the cave. Right as sleep came, I sensed something nearing me, but I was already enveloped by darkness.

...

I felt myself being dragged. I groaned as my head hit something hard. I tried to lift my head, but found that there was some sort of sticky resistance. I opened my eyes and found myself in an almost completely dark tunnel. The only light source was from faint glowing moss and fungi along the stone walls. I cast my eyes downwards to see my body and part of my head wrapped in tight webs. I tried to move again, but once more, couldn't. I tried to get my eyes to focus more as I could make out a shape moving me. 

I felt my body jump as it hit another rock and I could briefly make out the red-striped body of what I assumed to be a Bug type. I looked to my right as best as I could to see two more bodies bound in webs getting dragged. I looked to my left but only saw the cave wall. Looking right again, I could faintly make out the Pokemon dragging the two bodies. Both had black bodies with red stripes with six red feet. It had four eyes, two on its side and two on top of its head. Its jaws were clicking against each other while it dragged the body with its behind. It reminded me of a Durant because of its body shape, but I was certain it wasn't one nor a type of regional variant Pokemon found in Galar or Alola.