Chapter 27: Beneath the Waterfall

"Hurry it up will you!?"

"Yeah yeah," I grunted, burdened by the heavy load of thick branches. "I'm coming."

I dumped the wood next to Xera and Luna, who were tying up separate rafts with vines. After travelling for a while after crossing the dam built by the Bibarels, we came across another section of the river blocking our path. We were essentially on an island, three parts of the Branching River trapping us in.

"This will be especially treacherous," Luna had said. "This river section tends to be the wilder part. If you're not careful, you'll get pushed down into the rocks."

"Why don't we just have Z turn into a Dragonite or something and carry us across?" I suggested, wiping my hands down on my pants.

"Because," Z transformed, poking me in the chest. "Transforming into Pokemon so much consumes a lot of my energy. I'd rather not spend it on being your Mudbray."

"But what about when you transform into a human?" Xera asked curiously. "Wouldn't that burn up your energy as well?"

"Normally yes," Z nodded. "But my transforming into a human doesn't seem to waste any."

I remembered when she had talked to me back in the cave. How she wasn't able to transform until she was given the ability to.

"By a deity if I remember correctly," I thought, going back into the forest to collect more fallen branches and sticks. "Maybe that has something to do with her transformation ability."

"So," I said, depositing more wood. "If she won't be able to transform, how will we get across the river?"

"We'll have Z convince the river Pokemon to pull us," Luna said. "We've done it before, so it shouldn't be a problem."

"Wasn't transforming an issue though," I asked. "She'll need to communicate with them somehow."

"The smaller Pokemon I turn into," Z gave me a cold look. "The less energy I end up using. Now shut up about me. Just listen to what we tell you."

I sighed. Vicious as always. 

After a while, the rafts were completed. 

"These should hold," Luna said, testing one.

"My turn then," Z said, jumping into the air, transforming into a Gorebyss on the way down. She splashed into the roaring river, her entrance unnoticed by the water. Several minutes passed by before she resurfaced, leaping out of the water, her form different. She transformed back into a Zoroark once landing, shook the water from her fur, then into a human.

"Good news," she gave a feral grin. "I got us help. Get me some more vines."

Xera handed her a bundle and Luna took some as well. They tied the ends to the rafts, then threw the other ends into the river, as instructed by Z. They were immediately grabbed by several Sharpedos that emerged from the water, eyes staring straight ahead.

"Might want to get on," Z jumped on a raft. "And hold on."

I barely had time to grab my stuff and jump onto the same raft as Xera, Grovyle, and Yanmega before the Sharpedos began pulling. We skidded across the ground before splashing into the water. We stayed afloat, but I nearly fell into the river. Luckily the Sharpedos were strong, strong enough to pull against the current. We reached the other side in no time, leaping onto shore. We watched as the Pokemon let the vines go, the rafts surging down the river. They crashed into the rocks a ways away, making loud cracking noises before continuing on in tiny pieces.

"All that hard work," I said. "Gone just like that."

"No time like the present," Luna said, shouldering her bow. "Let's get a move on. I want to reach the bridge by evening."