Chapter 29: Battling on the Edge

We climbed up through a tunnel, turning every so often.

"You do know where this leads?" Xera asked, unconvinced. "It feels like we're just wandering around in here."

"Don't worry," Luna said. "I've already explored this tunnel through and through. As long as one of the paths up ahead remains open, we'll get back out."

"Can you even see in this darkness?" I asked, making sure my torch wouldn't hit the ceiling. Xera held one as well, but not Luna, despite leading us.

"Of course," she responded. "Those of the Moonlit Tribe are taught how to see with even no light."

I remembered her glowing eyes from before and chalked up her explanation to that. After a while more of walking through the tunnel, I could begin to hear a faint roar.

"The waterfall's up ahead," I announced. 

"We can hear it too," Xera said. "Idiot."

After a minute, light began pouring into the tunnel.

"So if this leads right back to the waterfall," I said. "Why didn't we just go through this way?"

"I thought it would be more fun," Luna said, walking outside.

Sighing, I shielded my eyes as I stepped back into daylight. We were on a stone path that lead up the waterfall in a zigzag pattern, the spot we were standing on now sticking out a little. We were just over halfway up, the waterfall five feet to our right, the spray washing over us. Luna tossed me something and as I caught it, I realized it was my spear. She picked up her bow and arrows as Xera did the same.

"Where-?" I glanced around, but didn't see any of the Pokemon.

"Z must've left them here," Luna said. "She probably dropped them here because she was tired of carrying them. C'mon, they'll be waiting at the top."

We went up the rocky and mossy path, the waterfall roaring endlessly. Twenty feet up, we crossed under a rocky outcropping, walking behind the waterfall. Stalactites hung from the ceiling, condensation forming on them, droplets of water hitting our heads. Once we got out, the path ended, the only way to get to the top of the plateau was to climb the vines and roots breaking through the rock.

"Can't we just call down the Pokemon to help us?" I asked.

Surprisingly, Luna nodded. "Fine. It'll save our strength. Z! You there!?"

No answer. 

"Z!"

Again, no answer.

Luna narrowed her eyes. "I don't like this."

She yanked on a vine, then began hauling herself up, using her right hand to jab her spear into cracks. "Something's not right. Hurry up and follow me."

Xera began climbing after her and I realized I either needed to leave the sword or somehow carry it. I glanced at the vines and grabbed one that hung down for over a meter. I cut it with the spear and began tying it around my waist. I stuck my sword through it on my hip and tightened the vine. It was shoddy work, but it would have to do for now. From the tone of Luna's voice, I knew I didn't have time to waste. 

By the time I began climbing, they were already pulling themselves up. I stared straight up, gritting my teeth and pulling myself up with the vine, slamming my spear tip into the rockface. It held, so I pulled myself up further. The wind picked up slightly, water spraying against me, chilling me. My arms ached, but I persevered, and with one last grunt, brought my free hand up over the side along with my head. I could feel my sword slipping, so I hurriedly placed it on the ground, just as the vine fell away.