Chapter 20: Screams of the Damned

Sceptile flew past the two charging Pokemon, streaks of green color fading into Sceptile's blades. Zoroark fell onto one knee and Yanmega slammed sideways into a tree, but managed to stay in the air. Sceptile glared at them, as if wondering why they weren't down yet.

"No," I said, eyes wide in fear. "You guys can't win this! He's too powerful!"

Yanmega glanced my way and I saw something in his eyes. A desire to fight. To fight for... me?

I felt tears well up in my eyes. "No," I wanted to say. "You can't. He'll kill you."

I was certain Sceptile would at this point. His grass blades seemed sharper now and his eyes narrowed, ready to kill. Yet Yanmega and Zoroark still stood. I knew Zoroark was standing for Luna, but why was Yanmega fighting for me? What did he see in me that I didn't?

Suddenly, Zoroark roared. Her form flickered until she turned into Mega Sceptile as well. She charged and slashed at the real Sceptile, blades clashing. Both Sceptiles opened their mouths and twin beams of draconic energy shot forth, blasting both Pokemon away. Zoroark's form flickered, but she managed to stay in character. Yanmega buzzed his wings, slicing the air apart in Sceptile's direction. The Grass type only had to slash the air as well, cancelling the moves out.

Sceptile then pounded the earth and the forest began moving. Trees swayed and branches swung, leaves breaking apart from them and swirling around Sceptile. Yellow eyes flashed and a storm of leaves shot forwards, striking endlessly against Zoroark and Yanmega. This was the true power of a Jungle Guardian. An endless supply of power.

"Why!?" My mind was in chaos. "Why are you still standing for us!?"

I could see bit of blood flying from both Pokemon now, yet they still braved the barrage of leaves and glared at Sceptile, Zoroark now back in her Dark type form.

"Damn't!" I roared inside my head, pounding the ground uselessly. Then I remembered when I had first went on the patrol. When Yanma had first sat on my head. How happy he was when I petted him. I remembered all the times he was there, always making me happy, even for the short amount of time we were together.

"You," I lifted my gaze to stare at Yanmega, who's wings were now being chipped at. "You're my friend. That's why... That's why you fight for me."

My grip on my spear tightened and I felt a surging emotion within me, telling me to rise and take action. I had to help them. I had to help my friend.

I gritted my teeth and pushed myself to my feet. I ignored Luna and Xera's calls to me as I glared at Sceptile. I charged. 

...

Many thoughts went through my head at the moment. How bad of an idea this was. How I was probably about to die. But I didn't care. I had to save my friend.

"Aaaaaaah!" I yelled, thrusting the spear forwards. Sceptile swung his body around, directing the storm of leaves at me now. I was nearly knocked backwards upon the assault, but I slammed my spear into the ground, not wanting to get knocked back any further. 

In that instant Sceptile had changed targets, two Yanmegas charged. Both sliced at Sceptile with their wings, cutting off the storm. Sceptile slammed his right fist into the ground, gigantic roots bursting from the ground. They swung through the air and both Yanmegas flew right past them, trying to get to Sceptile. Both glowed with green energy as they weaved their way past the roots.

At this point I realized I had to take action as well. I hefted my spear into the air and held it back over my shoulder. Adrenaline pumped through me so hard and fast, I felt like I could do anything. A root changed course and plunged for one of the Yanmegas. The one in the front lifted their wings, letting themselves get blown backwards and taking the hit for the other Yanmega. She shifted form as she fell, landing on the ground as a Zoroark.